Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Synclavier-inspired synth with new phase-mod RazorBlade oscs

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Synclavier-inspired synth with new phase-mod RazorBlade oscs

Postby k brown » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:12 am

. . . Decided not yet ready for prime time, for now, at least.
Last edited by k brown on Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Re: Synclavier-inspired synth with new phase-mod RazorBlade

Postby R&R » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:37 am

:D
Spent some time tweaking on it though...

I did notice a few things, probably not even to consider unwanted behaviours. Especially in contrast to my own "only" plugin, which is just FULL of issues :lol:

The thing recall right now is...
Clicks.jpg
Clicks.jpg (55.12 KiB) Viewed 20227 times

Seems high resonance creates a click when MEG gets going, which atleast on my laptop sounds more like a unwanted click rather than like a fast attack filter mod.
R&R

Postby k brown » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:24 pm

One of the things being worked out is envelope behavior.

Not sure what you mean by 'high resonance' though, there's no control to increase resonance.
k brown

Postby R&R » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:58 pm

k brown wrote:Not sure what you mean by 'high resonance' though, there's no control to increase resonance.

Oops, sorry...
Hmmm. My eyes are giving up. At a glance it looked like resonance input, but I see now when looking again that the green resonance input was unconnected :oops:
Figured it was the filter making the click due to resonance increase but I guess not since you are using a selector for resonance...
So it's the actual mod amount then?
R&R

Postby k brown » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:39 pm

It may be the clicking with EG Attack set to minimum that is the issue I'm working on - trying different envelopes.
k brown

Postby k brown » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:48 am

OK, this is in releasable shape now. FM-Sq.

A simplified approximation of just the FM synth in the Synclavier, not the sampling, workstation, etc.

GUI based on the Yamaha CS-80.

Released just before the DX7, New England Digital's take on FM was just the opposite of Yamaha's. NED in the Synclavier went with sine-only modulators and complex oscs for the Carriers (using additive synthesis). Whereas Yamaha decided on sine-only Carriers (in their first several FM instrumants) and complex wave Modulators made from mixing and/or stacking operators.

With FM-Sq, I went with the RazorBlade oscillators for the Carriers, so one has all the simple-to-complex waveforms of the SQ-80 to serve as the complex oscs for the Carriers (in fact, many of the SQ waves were actually created with additive synthesis). I built a version with RB oscs for the Modulators too, but it was unwieldy CPU-wise, so I went back to sine; closer to the original instrument anyway.

The overall structure here that's from the Synclavier is four Modulator/Carrier pairs that each have their own dedicated Vibrato and Tremolo/Pan LFOs. Plus the powerful feature that NED called 'Chorus' which was actually a second copy of each Carrier that's detuned from very slightly, to intervals from two octaves below to several octaves above.

Also each Mod/Carr pair has dedicated Portamento, Transpose, Keytrack (I also added Pan to each pair).

Other than the use of SQ-80 waves in place of additive oscs for the Carriers, my main deviation is the inclusion of a simple filter for the Carriers, as many of the SQ waves are quite bright. The Modulator EG can be used to sweep the cutoff.

The Delay is capable of Frippertronics; up to 6 sec. The decay time on MVerb 7B has been extended to approximate that of the Taj Mahal.

And, hey - 48 (if not very impressive) presets! To get the MJ "Beat It" sound on the preset "Can't Beat The Thrill", you have to tap a single key, and immediately release it. If you hold the key down the sound will die very quickly.

The forum isn't letting me upload the schem, so you'll need to get it via the Sync.com link.
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/34b8de920/3hfum ... i-ewxw3jvp
Attachments
FM-Sq copy.jpg
FM-Sq copy.jpg (47.61 KiB) Viewed 19644 times
Last edited by k brown on Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:57 am, edited 10 times in total.
k brown

Postby k brown » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:58 am

For those giving this a quick spin, I thought I'd add here for convenience, the list of the band-lmited waves, which are the most practical and effective ones to use in the Carriers, due to their lower level of upper harmonics:

- PULSE2
- SQR2
- 4OCTS
- PRIME
- BASS2
- EPNO2
- OCTAVE
- OCT+5
- SAW2
- TRIANG

In fact I believe these were originally generated using additive synthesis; one could almost consider these as additive oscillator 'presets', which still give a huge range of FM possibilities.
k brown

Postby k brown » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:42 pm

R&R wrote::D
Spent some time tweaking on it though...

I did notice a few things, probably not even to consider unwanted behaviours. Especially in contrast to my own "only" plugin, which is just FULL of issues :lol:

The thing recall right now is...
Clicks.jpg

Seems high resonance creates a click when MEG gets going, which atleast on my laptop sounds more like a unwanted click rather than like a fast attack filter mod.

The click is caused by the EG pushing the cutoff far beyond the fully open point. A range limiter on the filter's mod input has pretty much fixed this.
k brown

Postby R&R » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:30 pm

Top! 8-)
Will try it out some more as soon as I get a chance...
R&R

Postby k brown » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:43 am

For any that may find FM-Sq a bit intimidating, I did this version of NeuOld FM with RB oscs in both the Modulators and Carriers (also much easier on the CPU).

This is structurally closer to the Tone2 Nemsis' 'NeoFM'.

Lordy, I love those Nixie tube displays - I wish more people would put their names inside such cool modules so they can be given credit.

NeuOld FM-s copy.jpg
NeuOld FM-s copy.jpg (46.91 KiB) Viewed 19368 times

I am again not being allowed to post the schem for some reason, so will have to get it via the link in my signature.
k brown

Next

Return to User Examples