Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Filter construction kit

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Filter construction kit

Postby MyCo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi,

As I dug out my old z-Plane project for this:
http://www.dsprobotics.com/support/view ... 4035#p4021

I thought, why don't work a little more on this project. I've added some more modules that can be usefull for designing and analyzing filters (especially in z-Plane).
Filter Construction Kit (MyCo).fsm
(521.92 KiB) Downloaded 2015 times

The project is not finished, there are a lot of things that'll have to get done. Especially there is a lot of GUI stuff missing, and I'm not very keen on doing this. Maybe when I've nothing else to do and I'm in the mood for banging my had on the table.

And here is the still unfinished documentation for IIR filter design, that I started recently
IIR filter design for audio DSP programmers.zip
(914.54 KiB) Downloaded 1743 times

Maik
Last edited by MyCo on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 11 times in total.
MyCo

Re: Filter construction kit

Postby tester » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:35 pm

Empty schematic loads (at high zoom) here?
Need to take a break? I have something right for you.
Feel free to donate. Thank you for your contribution.
tester

Postby MyCo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:13 am

Uploaded it again.
MyCo

Postby tester » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:19 am

Now works, thanks.
tester

Postby Tronic » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:55 am

Really nice,
if you have desire and time MyCo,
a small example of how to use these tools in the design phase to obtain the filter.
help me and maybe others to make full use of this.
:geek:
Tronic

Postby trogluddite » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks MyCo - I find code so much easier to understand and use than the maths websites - I think these will be a big help.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby tor » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:29 pm

Great work!

Thank you. I'm looking forward to study it closer :)
tor

Postby MyCo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:26 pm

This took me years to understand, and I used nearly all PDFs to this topic that I could find. I'm not good a higher math, wich is often used to describe the Filter design process. There are some very enlighting documents, that I've discovered, that are targeted to programmers. For me the most important one, is this:

http://yehar.com/blog/?p=121
Read the section "Pole-zero IIR filter design" and the following chapters.

From now on, you know what a z-Plane is, and you know what Poles and Zeros do. The next big step is understanding the transfer function wich is called H(z), and you have to be very carefull, there are many documents using H(s) or G(s) to describe the filter design process. Those are different equations (for s-Plane), you can transform this into H(z), using substitution, but this is not that easy. You need a lot of paper for writing this down. There are also different notations for H(z), one shows it in Pole+Zero representation, and the other shows it in coeffizient representation. In the Pole+Zero representation, you can read directly the coordinates for Poles and Zeros. In coeffizient representation, you can read directly the coeffizients that you can eg. put directly into a biquad filter formula.

For filter design using z-Plane, the task is to convert H(z) from Pole+Zero representation into coeffizient representation. You do this, because in Pole+Zero representation you can easily see and manipulate the filter response, in coeffizient representation it is impossible to do that. Here comes this toolkit in.

You drag Poles & Zeros around, and you can also see the response from this, using some of the modules I've added. Then you pass the Poles&Zeros in pairs into a biquad coefficient module. And this calculates all a0,a1,a2,b0,b1,b2 coefficients that are used in nearly all of the filters you've seen in S|M or FS.

If there is some interest, I can go on. It's fascinating when you finally understand something, where you ever thought "that's to high for me" ;)
MyCo

Postby tester » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:56 pm

I don't understand most of what you wrote, but if there is a practical application for using these results - I'm in. Understanding can come later. Eventually I rather like to know what I'm doing and why.
tester

Postby stw » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:06 pm

MyCo wrote:http://yehar.com/blog/?p=121
Read the section "Pole-zero IIR filter design" and the following chapters.

I also used to read Olli's explanations in the past. Though i forgot most of it i remember that he really is one of the few who's able to explain hard to understand things in a manner that "braindeads" like me get the feeling of knowing what really goes on behind the scene ;)
Absolutely recommendable!!
stw

Next

Return to User Examples