Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

(Spartan) Haas freeverb

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

(Spartan) Haas freeverb

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:33 pm

I was experimenting with freeverb ports and noticed a few that met My needs. The optimized version that seemed interesting to Me was by MV, Shrufin, Exo (I'd Assume) and maybe Trogluddite. I used everything oldschool and at first only had the reverb.

I added an automatic brightness / darkness Hishelf Loshelf for good colour. For that I'd used MV's 1 pole examples. They work well and it's a nice working example. Perhaps without the haas effect to some is better because it reduces the CPU requirements. It's at 2% (Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33 / 8gb RAM / Win 7 ) but gets to 1 without the Haas. You could also make it so that the Haas effect turns off after "haas mix" is at 0.

Really oldschool, it uses all old code because I've had problems with ASM Pack loading. Crashes are so frequent with any ASM that packs that I'm starting to revert to DSP code and Pack (unless the ASM does not access the Pack #).

Enjoy, CCBY I guess.

Download: LA-Verb V0010.fsm Initial Code Example (266.97 KiB)
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Re: (Spartan) Haas freeverb

Postby Spogg » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:26 am

wlangfor@uoguelph.ca wrote:
... Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33 / 8gb RAM / Win 7 ...

I spotted this and I’m wondering if some of the behaviours you’ve described elsewhere are due to CPU limitations.

I compared the Core 2 duo E8600 with a modern Core i3 8350k and a benchmark test scored over 360% better. Plus it has 4 cores which would help your DAW. You could spend a LOT more but even a new Core i7 would only get you about 420% which, in my view, is not a huge additional gain for the extra cost.

When you consider that every single stream calculation for the whole schematic MUST be completed in less than 22uS it becomes apparent that the CPU is critical.

I upgraded from a Core 2 duo to a 2nd generation Core i7 a few years ago and the difference was amazing.

Just saying… :lol:

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:19 pm

Yeah, you're totally right on that. It merely came down to dependability. Also, My ilok installs are tapped out. I'd had a win 10 pc (intel core 7 doesn't "always" install on 7) and after using acronis 2019 to restore it dumped and I'd used the sys restore and repair utility.

After that (even though it worked) it just stopped booting. Though I think the intel core 7 is reliable; Windows 7 has better features and maybe I guess I'd consider switching over to an Athlon or duron dependent on support.

To be fair though; Most any graphics prog doesn't crash on an intel core 2. Especially for instance Videopad; Talk about amazing on intel core 2. Twas only half as good on intel core 7. Might be nice for You to have another pc networked for video. I'd highly recommend in that regard. Rarely crashes ever; Even if hanging. 2'nd generation is not a bad idea though. Maybe used. They worked with win 7 right?

Let me know and I'll track down a second generation.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby Spogg » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:27 am

Yes I use Win 7 on the 2nd gen Core i7. I have 2 SSDs, one for 32 bit, which is what I normally use, and one for 64 bit which I use for testing mainly.

I would be surprised if the most recent 4 core chips didn’t work with Win 7, but I never tried. I looked into upgrading but the latest i7 is only about 1.47 times faster than my 2nd gen chip so it’s not yet worth the money for me.

It’s interesting what you say about Videopad being better with the Duo. The Duo doesn’t have in-built video graphics so you must have had a separate graphics system or card and this may have been better than the on-chip graphics on the i7. I'm not a gamer, so the i7 graphics seems fine for me. I bought Videopad recently and it runs great on my system, apart from the HD rendering which is only around real-time.

I don’t know why you’ve had such trouble with Windows 10. I have it on 3 micro PCs and it’s always been stable (so far) but I hate the huge updates that take forever to install and seem to break stuff. For example Bluetooth doesn’t work now and it’s a known problem. I had to buy a new keyboard and mouse for one system. I suspect you may have suffered from a hardware issue with Win 10, but I don’t know of course.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:16 pm

TBH it was due to Acronis True Image. I'd had the old version and paid to update to a version that supported win 10. It was Acronis that stuffed My sys.

It's sucky, but WE. Oh well; And it's interesting what You said about the graphics end. I made it so that the gauge numbers only show up on mouse hover code's at 83kb and it runs at under 2. Load time is now next to non-existent and the GPU is saved a great deal.

(What's interesting) though is in a gen 7 I7 & Videopad did not run well (just so You know). I'll go with a 2'nd gen, thanks.

I was working on the Hydra7 last night; it's almost done. I've decided to add a non-code or ASM governor for each band. It will use mean avg. and maybe a standard deviation to limit decibels dynamically. Should avoid clipping in an interesting way. More on Hydra7 tomorrow.

Lemme know when Your latest rank is out; I could see into optimizing it if You'd like. I keep learning new tricks for CPU saving. I could probably get it down to maybe 125-250 kb. Mostly, it's due to the fact that I abandoned non-image knobs for the most part (they crash). Now I animate static images with rotate instead. I take aliased images into Photoshop, save for web & devices and then render as PNG8. Lastly I add a penned ellipse so as to smooth the rough edge, the result is quite impressive. I'd also probably stagger Your Graphic bands so that there is offset at the bottom/top edge of the sliders. Otherwise there's math required.

But a big saver is that I use My own knob code. I was working on a new custom model, alas I was learning at a pace that meant every bit of knowledge I'd gained would be timelessly superseded by new realizations. I think now might be the time that I could realize that project too. Let Me know.

BTW, check out my latest schematic (hydra7), Spogg; for a useful module called LA Tension. It prevents redraw rate bugs when attached to a co-efficient or complicated module, but it gracefully degrades and allows automation when not drawing.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby Spogg » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:44 pm

wlangfor@uoguelph.ca wrote:...Mostly, it's due to the fact that I abandoned non-image knobs for the most part (they crash). Now I animate static images with rotate instead...

This is interesting because I never had a bitmap strip knob crash in over 4 years!

This is one of those things you report that convinces me that it's your PC; probably CPU related.

You're more than welcome to play around and modify anything I've shared BTW.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:49 pm

8-) :shock:
Spogg wrote:
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca wrote:...Mostly, it's due to the fact that I abandoned non-image knobs for the most part (they crash). Now I animate static images with rotate instead...

This is interesting because I never had a bitmap strip knob crash in over 4 years!

This is one of those things you report that convinces me that it's your PC; probably CPU related.

You're more than welcome to play around and modify anything I've shared BTW.

Cheers

Spogg

No, I meant that imageless knobs (that you make with assortments of linear gradients etc) in great numbers seem to bother the loading speed (and sometimes stability).

But in regards to bitmap strips I find them just too big.. I mean, Am I the only who might load a VST like 40 times in a track? I mean, if You are in the mindset of loading it maybe 5 or 6 times sure, but what about forty times?

"Crashing" based on this realization is a very different matter. I like the summation of code to be under 100kb.

This new governor BTW will be hot. So much less destructive than a compression limiter 8-) .
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Return to User Examples