Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Waveform De-Cycler

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Waveform De-Cycler

Postby BobF » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:20 pm

Hello Gang,
Here is a little device I call the de-cycler, because as you can see it removes cycles from a waveform. It can remove from 1 cycle (/2) to 9 Cycles (/10). There is also Pulse Width Modulation control, and it is effected by the knobs, pulse width and mod gain. Modulation is of course by an external source as the LFO shows. Also are two other knobs that can effect the waveform, the DC Offset knob and the Feedback knob. They seem to have a similar effect, but do have there differences. A mix knob is provided to go from original waveform to the de-cycled one or a mix of both. Last there are four modulation inputs, mix, feedback (FB_Mod), DC Offset, and Pulse Width (PWM) inputs. Well that’s it! Play around with it for a while to hear what it sounds like. Have fun, make mods or not, and PLEASE provide some feedback.
Later then, BobF…..

BobsDeCycler.fsm
(982.64 KiB) Downloaded 896 times
BobF

Re: Waveform De-Cycler

Postby adamszabo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:47 am

Getting some interesting tones, cool!
adamszabo

Postby Spogg » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:25 am

Fascinating idea Bob. You do come up with some good ones! :ugeek:

The resulting waveforms remind me of glottal sounds; you get an impulse cycle followed by a period of silence, and here you can alter the ratio without having to make new individual waveforms. This would make a nice basis for vocal sounds, with appropriate resonant filtering following on for the formants.
You could maybe correct the pitch relative to the division ratio selected too, so the apparent fundamental pitch is retained. Nice!

It’s very rare to see a new type of “oscillator” these days.
Very inspiring and thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby lalalandsynth » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:02 am

very interesting
lalalandsynth

Postby trogluddite » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:01 pm

Ooh, that's very interesting - it gets some harmonics out of the source wave that I'd never have predicted, and much more musical than I'd have guessed the "waveform chopping" would be. Using logic gates within an oscillator like that is a fascinating idea, and one with plenty of room for new experiments (e.g. keep cycles [n1, n2, n3, ...] out of every N, or splicing a different oscillator waveform into the gaps, etc.)

I've had some fun playing my bass through it, too. The new harmonics that are added sound rather like having a "second oscillator" tuned to a harmonic of the original pitch. Using 'tanh' to soften the plucking transients a bit, it's a very playable and musical sound; more stable than some pitch-shifters I've tried doing "auto-chord" effects with, and with it's own unique "synthesised" timbre (as I said to Spogg recently, I love anything that lets me use my bass, rather than my terrible keyboard playing, to drive new sounds!)

Spogg wrote:You could maybe correct the pitch relative to the division ratio selected too

Or even sequencing the division ratio. If you flick through them quickly, you can make little tunes out of the way that the pitch centre changes - rather like holding a note on a organ and 'playing' the drawbars.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby Spogg » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:09 pm

trogluddite wrote: ... splicing a different oscillator waveform into the gaps, etc.)

I've already been there and I have the tee-shirt to prove it :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9639#p36399

Of course it doesn't have a live audio input, so no good for processing bass. But you can at least assess the sounds...

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby trogluddite » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:17 pm

^ Nice one, Spogg! I'll definitely be having a play with that - some very cool sounds (and looks) in your video demo! :D
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
trogluddite

Postby BobF » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:25 pm

To Trogluddite,

Here is one you may like for your BASS! It divides a waveform in half.
BobsHalfer.fsm
(541.59 KiB) Downloaded 877 times

Also I did this sometime ago,

Trogluddite wrote:
... or splicing a different oscillator waveform into the gaps

BobsWaveSlider.fsm
(541.94 KiB) Downloaded 857 times

Cheers, BobF.....
BobF

Postby trogluddite » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:22 pm

Thankyou, BobF - I'm being spoiled with new toys to play with since I came back! :D
trogluddite

Postby Halon » Fri May 03, 2019 11:07 pm

Thanks for this Bob :)
Halon

Return to User Examples