Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

home automation controller

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

home automation controller

Postby mrjflow » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:18 am

Hello, I have built a custom controller software package using flowstone. The labjack U3 HV is my real world interface. The system currently supervises and control my home solar power system. Also it controls my dog feeder/ water valve. I've attached the schematic file for anyone who wishes to use it. Also, the controller has voice annunciation built in (usng media player lite and wav files generated from TTS software).

For anyone wishing to use the labjack U3 for basic controls and supervision you can use my fsm file to help create your own solution. Namely, I have implemented the following in flowstone:

1. Battery Low Voltage Disconnet and Reconnect. This alllows my battery bank to be disconnected when the voltage falls below a threshold and to be reconnected to the load when the voltage rises above a different threshold. This was necessary since my solar inverters do not shutdown when my battery bank goes below 21volts (which actually cripples the service life of lead acid batteries 24volt nominal).

2. One shot timer. Basically when momentary pushbuttons are pressed at different points in the home, my solar water pump turns ON, if the same push button is pressed again, the pump will turn off. Also if the pump is not manually turned OFF it will shutoff after a specified time via a selectable software timer.

3. Via flowstone I can automatically or manually select between battery power or utility power. This is a simply digital output signal to relay modules I have installed within the home power system.

This project is pretty simple and uses very little signal processing. What it does well is real world interfacing with the labjack and demonstrates how easy (and cheap) it is to have your own custom built control system.

My next control expansion project includes water cooling of the solar panels. The flowstone schematic will again be the controller for this by monitoring the panels' temperature and turning on/off a pump to get the water up to the roof.

mj house automate with voice.fsm
(55.13 KiB) Downloaded 1181 times
Last edited by mrjflow on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mrjflow

Re: home automation controller

Postby Jay » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:12 pm

hi mrjflow

that sound interesting, could you post an image of your dog feeder? is it a bought affair or did you build it?

best regards
Jay

Re: home automation controller

Postby mrjflow » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Greetings Jay,

The topic is more of a custom built automation system. Controlling the dog feeder is just one digital I/O. The feeder is a custom design of my own making. It's my 3rd generation dog feeder design. It's jam free, extremely reliable and holds food for 5 weeks for 3 dogs. My neighbours have always been amazed by the device through its design iterations.

I'm currently working to put a patent onto this design since there is no other design like mines on the market. For this reason I cannot release any photos or design information on it.

I'm more than happy to discuss my control setup in the house. For folks who use solar power or run their home off the grid and require local automation of their power setup, what I have done is a good method of achieving this.

MJ.
mrjflow

Return to User Examples