Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Sound of the Lorenz

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Sound of the Lorenz

Postby mschack » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:20 am

Hi Guys,

Ever wondered what the Lorenz attractor sounded like? Me neither, but here it is anyway.

Tweaking p1, p2 and p3 until the wave "winks out", then adding some LFO causes some interesting effects including buzzing around one side of the spiral for a while and then switching to the other side.

tm1, tm2 and tm3 divide each iteration for x y and z respectively to usable "time" increments.

If nothing else, it is a curiosity. I am looking for new ways to generate sounds using iteration.

If you look in the schematic I made an auto-DC offset cancellation module that seems to work well. I also modified the scope module to show the xy plot.

Enjoy...
lorenz.fsm
(81.56 KiB) Downloaded 1227 times
mschack

Re: Sound of the Lorenz

Postby Nubeat7 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:57 am

very cool stuff mschak, thanks for sharing! just know a record called lorenz attractor.. now i know where it is coming from, something really interesting to research..
Nubeat7

Postby trogluddite » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:14 pm

Very cool! :D
Those output waves look like they could make some really interesting LFO's for modulation too - for some "never quite repeating" pads and drones.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby tester » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:02 pm

I hope you have more ideas like that? :-)
Need to take a break? I have something right for you.
Feel free to donate. Thank you for your contribution.
tester

Postby mschack » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:03 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback. I never actually thought of using this for modulation, that is a good idea. I think to make this more robust there would need to be more control over the parameters. For instance I find interesting sounds when oscillating the knobs manually as the pattern flips around, I bet that would sound interesting if LFO'd at higher frequency.

My next project is to have a pixel bouncing around inside a rectangular enclosure. Each time the pixel hits an edge it would reverse the generated waves direction. By putting smaller boxes inside the enclosure would cause the bounce pattern to be more erratic (though not random). The smaller inside boxes (or maybe circles) would be configurable for size and position. The wave itself would use some sort of acceleration parameter to control the rate of change (and thus pitch).

I guess my end goal is to find a simple system to generate a wide range of waveforms which can be used in place of the simple sin/triangle/square etc...

Thanks
mschack

Postby TrojakEW » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:21 pm

Well I already use Lorenz, Rosler and Ikeda attractors for LFO source. I also tried to use other different attractors but it hard to set right coefficient to make it really usable as LFO . For more informations http://www.bentamari.com/attractors.html. It is very good source.

If anyone interested, you can test them in our synth. http://vstzone.sk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4. There are only 1 type from all three atttractos in free version but enough to test it.
TrojakEW

Return to User Examples