Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

Saturn - A 6 voice Polysynth (updated)

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Saturn - A 6 voice Polysynth

Postby Spogg » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:25 pm

Halon wrote:Yes the dark background with the Black knobs are indeed a little eye tiring. I could always add an option to change the color


If you intend to change it I’ll wait until you have! Personally I liked the look I must say.

I also note you mentioned something about MIDI input channels but I didn’t actually understand, sorry.

Cheers

Spogg
User avatar
Spogg
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:24 pm
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: Saturn - A 6 voice Polysynth

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:45 pm

Halon wrote:Cool. Thanks for checking in Robert.


Wouldn't miss it. I'll make a techno track maybe. Was working on a fork of freq. Also, updating an old bronislav and then getting back the mverb gui. So, track tonight - tomorrow?
Download VST: LA Bands 15 Band EQ
My Website http://www.leattol.com
User avatar
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:50 pm
Location: Penetanguishene, Ontario, Canada

Re: Saturn - A 6 voice Polysynth

Postby trogluddite » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:35 pm

I've enjoyed having a play with that. Touches like the separate pitch/pwm envelope and LFO fade add a lot of versatility without adding too many extra controls; it's a good balance between features and complexity overall, I thought. I've only fiddled a little bit with the presets so far, which show the features off nicely; but it seems like a synth I could MIDI up and enjoy making patches on.

Like kortezzzz, I think the GUI maybe needs a bit more clarity - not so much the colours for me, but I found the repeated pattern of the rings of numbers a bit distracting (it's the kind of thing that sets off my synaesthesia, though, so I may not be the best judge!)
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
User avatar
trogluddite
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:46 am
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Re: Saturn - A 6 voice Polysynth

Postby tulamide » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:04 am

I wanted to chime in as well. But I'm on my gaming pc, where I only have FS 4, no midi controller (just the pc keyboard), and no ASIO (just Direct Sound).

Unfortunately, under these circumstances, the synth does nothing. It doesn't recognize midi input, no sound is generated and the synth produces over 230 triggers per second while doing nothing. It's too late tonight to really do a bug tracking, but maybe others can have a look at the synth under FS 4 and in various environments?

(for example Exo's saturation is in asm, so maybe broken under FS 4?)
tulamide
 
Posts: 1968
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:48 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Saturn - A 6 voice Polysynth

Postby Spogg » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:33 am

I’ve spent a bit more time looking inside etc. and I offer a few comments which I hope will help…

The modwheel can generate a huge amount of triggers. I’ve attached a modwheel source that limits the triggering, yet still allows smooth operation.

There are 2 identical preset parameters; “Filter Float”. They all need to be unique, as I’m sure you already know. When you change this, you may need to re-do some or all of the presets.

I don’t see the option to Save and Load ALL programs on the front panel; just individual presets. This means that users won’t be able to switch whole “banks”.

The Bend range knob has a scale from 0-10, but the actual range is 0-12 and goes up in 5 steps.

I set 32 voices and found that, when playing, the CPU was still ok (on my core i7 PC at least). All 32 channels showed at 15% in FS but this would almost never happen in practice. I think most users will get that huge sustained chords and/or long release times will use more CPU. I didn’t see any opportunities for optimisation.

Cheers

Spogg
Attachments
Modwheel source.fsm
FS 3.06
(2.14 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
User avatar
Spogg
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:24 pm
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: Saturn - A 6 voice Polysynth

Postby Halon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:06 am

trogluddite wrote:I've enjoyed having a play with that. Touches like the separate pitch/pwm envelope and LFO fade add a lot of versatility without adding too many extra controls; it's a good balance between features and complexity overall, I thought. I've only fiddled a little bit with the presets so far, which show the features off nicely; but it seems like a synth I could MIDI up and enjoy making patches on.

Like kortezzzz, I think the GUI maybe needs a bit more clarity - not so much the colours for me, but I found the repeated pattern of the rings of numbers a bit distracting (it's the kind of thing that sets off my synaesthesia, though, so I may not be the best judge!)


Thanks trogluddite :) i should make an option to change the colors or atleast make it a bit clearer.

tulamide wrote:I wanted to chime in as well. But I'm on my gaming pc, where I only have FS 4, no midi controller (just the pc keyboard), and no ASIO (just Direct Sound).

Unfortunately, under these circumstances, the synth does nothing. It doesn't recognize midi input, no sound is generated and the synth produces over 230 triggers per second while doing nothing. It's too late tonight to really do a bug tracking, but maybe others can have a look at the synth under FS 4 and in various environments?

(for example Exo's saturation is in asm, so maybe broken under FS 4?)


Thanks for chiming in tulamide. Does that mean that i should add a direct sound out aswell as asio out?

Spogg wrote:I’ve spent a bit more time looking inside etc. and I offer a few comments which I hope will help…

The modwheel can generate a huge amount of triggers. I’ve attached a modwheel source that limits the triggering, yet still allows smooth operation.

There are 2 identical preset parameters; “Filter Float”. They all need to be unique, as I’m sure you already know. When you change this, you may need to re-do some or all of the presets.

I don’t see the option to Save and Load ALL programs on the front panel; just individual presets. This means that users won’t be able to switch whole “banks”.

The Bend range knob has a scale from 0-10, but the actual range is 0-12 and goes up in 5 steps.

I set 32 voices and found that, when playing, the CPU was still ok (on my core i7 PC at least). All 32 channels showed at 15% in FS but this would almost never happen in practice. I think most users will get that huge sustained chords and/or long release times will use more CPU. I didn’t see any opportunities for optimisation.

Cheers

Spogg


Thank you Rex. I will revisit the schematic then. About not being able to load banks, i guess the culprit could be because there is a button instead of the regular save/load module perhaps? And i did test the pitchbend/bend range in vsthost and it seemed to work well. Should i have 12 steps instead of 5? Also About the midi channel i mentioned earlier, most virtual synthesizers have the ability to change the channel number from 1 to 16. I guess its not needed.
Halon
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Saturn - A 6 voice Polysynth

Postby Spogg » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:29 am

Halon wrote:About not being able to load banks, i guess the culprit could be because there is a button instead of the regular save/load module perhaps? And i did test the pitchbend/bend range in vsthost and it seemed to work well. Should i have 12 steps instead of 5? Also About the midi channel i mentioned earlier, most virtual synthesizers have the ability to change the channel number from 1 to 16. I guess its not needed.


Banks (“All programs”): You could use buttons to adapt to the Load/Save module’s functions, or just bring out the Menu selector in a style to suit the GUI.

Pitchbend: The pitchbend works perfectly! My point was that the readout doesn’t tally with the knob’s scale, which I felt gave a certain dissonance. I do think that 12 semitone steps are better, that’s just a personal opinion, but in my view the knob’s scale should match the set value. Alternatively you could just have 10 steps, but I personally like to be able to bend a whole octave. Maybe the best way forward is just to remove the scale from that knob, or make a new one that tallies with 12 steps.

MIDI channel number: Others may take a different view, but I would leave MIDI routing to the DAW since you already have it (in Reaper anyway). I see no need to have another control that’s not strictly necessary.

Cheers

Spogg
User avatar
Spogg
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:24 pm
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: Saturn - A 6 voice Polysynth

Postby Halon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:05 pm

How would i go about to adapt the button to the load/save button so it would be possible to save whole banks? This is one of the things that makes me scratch my head. I'll see if im able to figure it out. I do like those buttons but i could always just use the standard preset manager. Also the pitch bend readout was wrong indeed. And I guess the standard is 1 - 12 semitones instead of 3-5-7-12 semitones.
Halon
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Saturn - A 6 voice Polysynth

Postby Halon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:29 pm

I managed to work it out but the button is does not 'de-press'
after pressing it. I attached a schematic.
Attachments
Save all programs button.fsm
(13.28 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Halon
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Saturn - A 6 voice Polysynth

Postby kortezzzz » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:39 pm

@tulamide,

Strange thing when using this synth under FS4 alfa: I've cleared up all the dsp modules that added up with asm's in the same containers and got sound out of it. But the 12db filter causes audio shutdowns here. When dived in, found out that the asm module doesn't likes any additional comments in it (those who tagged under the "\" symbol) and reports them as an error. After deleting them, the typical error message disappears, but the audio shutdowns remain. Exo's modules don't cause any errors. its the asm filter. Any thoughts?
User avatar
kortezzzz
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:21 pm

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests