Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

FSSS - Frequency Spectrum Split Synth

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: FSSS - Frequency Spectrum Split Synth

Postby kortezzzz » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:27 pm

Spogg wrote:The random number created when a channel opens would have to be turned into a stream integer, say 0-3. That number would then open a single audio stream gate to pass into 1 of 4 blue filter channels. A situation could arise where you get some channels where the audio passed into the same filter, since the numbers generated would not be unique. But would this really matter? The benefit would be that the randomly selected blue filter would hold for the duration of the note, until after release time has elapsed in the ADSR.

Tried to use the asm random generator to do what you suggested, spogg. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but couldn't find a way to trigger it to create the random number. It has only outputs (no trigger inputs) and no signal comes out of it. What am I missing?...
kortezzzz

Postby Spogg » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:02 pm

That’s because you don’t trigger it!

When a channel opens, the code runs (for each and every channel when it opens) and creates the number. You just connect it into a stream and you’ll get the number. Honestly.

I used this for random phase for oscillators, which is what Adam made it for originally.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:32 pm

Seems like an interesting idea. Good luck getting rid of the clicks.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby kortezzzz » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:10 pm

Thanks Robert :)

Thanks for the advises, spogg. Unfortunately couldn't make it with the poly modules. To be honest, this poly thing is the one that I like less in FS. It somehow always takes me into troubles and I would choose to avoid messing with that by any cost. maybe in the future we'll be able to just connect thing together and they'll work without any quirky limitations.
kortezzzz

Postby Spogg » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:22 am

When I came to FS I knew nothing about the signal types and how they are handled, so I can sympathise with what you say. But I would say stick at it and the light will come eventually.
Maybe someone could make a mini-tutorial…

Anyway, I’ve incarnated my idea into your schematic because I think it’s easier to show than tell.
Plus, I think it’s a really great idea for creating sound variations, and my approach does seem to work well, with no clicks because it's all poly stream processing up to the filters..

Have fun!

Spogg
Attachments
(Frequency spectrum split synth 2) Spogged .fsm
Demo of random signal routing FS 3.06
(2.24 MiB) Downloaded 851 times
Spogg

Postby kortezzzz » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:46 am

Fantastic spogg 8-) Thank you so much for the fix. The beautiful DSP "If -> Then" module that you added with the randomizer is exactly what I needed but didn't know how to make it correctly. It's a must have module in any toolbox and glad it came up. From that point, everything can be randomized. For instance, you can send each oscillator to a random effects chain or apply to it a random LFO.

...Or use Martin's randomOSC 8 and randomize the already randomized signal that comes out of it :shock: :lol:
I would call it "Anarchsynth" ;)
kortezzzz

Postby Spogg » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:00 pm

You’re more than welcome.

I can see you’ve been ignited with ideas!

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:06 pm

I'll make a track with this new incarnation. Thanks to both of You.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby kortezzzz » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:30 am

Just found out that the asm random generator may stream out values that are greater than the determined limits when the number of the voices increases. For example, if you press 3 or 4 keys together, you'll end with values like 8-11 which are beyond the limits of the blue "if -> then". in this case, I guess that they all will be routed to upper channel (since the upper receives everything beyond 4)?
kortezzzz

Postby Spogg » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:42 am

If you are using a poly readout module or similar, you will see this, but it’s not actually happening in the poly world.

To read a poly signal, the readout module converts to mono, so what I reckon you’re seeing is this summation of poly channels. You can see this if you readout the “Freq 0-1” signal for example. Each note you press and hold increases the value on the readout, because you are seeing the summation of all the open channels.

There is a way round this, but it involves DSP code to use the unique channel i.d. output from the Voices prim. Then you can make the output respond on just a given channel.

So… worry not! :lol:

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples