Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Decade Counter

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Decade Counter

Postby BobF » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:34 am

Bobs7490DecadeCounter.fsm
(401.02 KiB) Downloaded 819 times

Hello gang,

Just messing around and made this decade counter. It's made via a 7490 (look up 74ls90). As you can see it counts up to 9 (1 section), then to 99 with the cascade. Of course it can count higher with more 7490's cascaded. Hope someone can use the 7490's for something cool.

Have fun, BobF.....

P.S., thanks to Trogluddite for modules used!
BobF

Re: Decade Counter

Postby Spogg » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:05 am

Nicely done Bob! :geek:

It takes me back to the old days when I used to design test equipment in the labs at BSR for use on the production lines (they mainly made record player decks).
Those halcyon days were a heady mix of TTL and CMOS logic with a lot of analogue op-amps and transistors thrown in for good measure. The CMOS and TTL Cookbooks were well thumbed!

These kind of projects you come up with could provide really good teaching aids for young’uns.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby trogluddite » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:59 pm

Another nostalgia thread for us old 'uns?! :o (Thus making "Decade Counter" a doubly apt title! :lol: )

There was a time when I could have recalled dozens of TTL/CMOS chip codes from memory - back in the days when building DIY gadgets for my computer meant cobbling together hardware address decoders from logic chips on Veroboard rather than blasting code down a USB cable into a micro-controller. Lovely to see those old 7-seg display being used, too - though I'm sure that someone in the past has gone one better and done Nixie tubes!

Spogg wrote:These kind of projects you come up with could provide really good teaching aids for young’uns.

You might be surprised to learn that real 74-series chips are still used for teaching young 'uns. Until only a few years ago, I was responsible for this range of educational products for schools. They use proper old-school through-hole chips in DIL sockets, too - nice and easy to fix for the school lab technician (another of my former occupations) when the little darlings decide to investigate the "magic smoke", as they inevitably do! :lol:
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby Spogg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:40 am

trogluddite wrote: ... though I'm sure that someone in the past has gone one better...

Ask and ye shall receive!
Attachments
Nixie.fsm
(238.1 KiB) Downloaded 831 times
Spogg

Return to User Examples