Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

working Assembler memin workareound!!!

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: working Assembler memin workareound!!!

Postby KG_is_back » Sun May 25, 2014 10:27 am

RJHollins wrote:Question? With this concept, are we looking at maybe the possibility of 2 separate apps [say a VST], being able to communicate/share memory locations with the concept that is being explored here ?

I ask this as a mere mortal :lol:

I know this 'concept' as been discussed in the past ... even having a 'server/client' routine that was posted. I was just wondering if this 'memin workaround' has that type of possibility. That would be a very useful ability.

trying to learn from youse guys ! ;)

Certainly not... When you start an application the operation system reserves a space on RAM which the plugin will be free to use. It numbers the bytes of the memory. the process accesses the data in ram by calling the bytes by their number (which in case of 32bit windows is a 32bit integer). Your variables (their names) and arrays (their pointer names) are nothing more then just a visual replacement for the address integer (surely it is easier to identify a variable when it has name "counter" rather than "156464864"). One app usually can't access memory of another app. I do not know how passing values between apps/apps apps/plugins work.

I've just checked - opened two instances of flowstone with this schematic loaded. Both generated separate pointers and when I copied pointer form one to another it outputted nonsence... That is because for the second app, there was different data saved at that memory address.
KG_is_back

Postby RJHollins » Sun May 25, 2014 9:37 pm

not to deflect topic ...

oh well ... was hoping/wondering if there was a 'reserved' area of memory that could be shared in realtime between apps. [would be a useful technique].

Thanks for testing and confirming, and the details you provided. Educational.
8-)
RJHollins

Postby KG_is_back » Tue May 27, 2014 9:20 pm

I have came up with something that would solve the crashing problems to some degree. If the received address is nonexistent (zero) then the module would output an address, that is known to be readable without crashes. Only such address I know about is sine

so maybe
Code: Select all
streamin binary;
streamout address;

mov eax,binary[0];
cmp eax,0;
jz elsecode;
mov eax,[eax];
cmp eax,0; //unconditional jump - at this point eax, should always be nonzero
jnz ifcode;
elsecode:
mov eax,sine;
ifcode;
mov address[0],eax;

Now the pointer either points to the memory block or, if memory block is not created yet, it points to sine table. Does that make sense? or it would be more reliable to add "bypass if pointer address is zero" protection to every custom component that uses the mem?
KG_is_back

Postby tester » Tue May 27, 2014 10:21 pm

I think sine is better. Usually sine is used by default, and other shape - if you change it. Instead of empty wavetables, you multiply output with 0 anyway (to avoid DC and other stuff).
Need to take a break? I have something right for you.
Feel free to donate. Thank you for your contribution.
tester

Postby Nubeat7 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:14 pm

KG_is_back wrote:if memory block is not created yet, it points to sine table. Does that make sense? or it would be more reliable to add "bypass if pointer address is zero" protection to every custom component that uses the mem?

i think bypass would be more logic, but it depends for what you use it, if it is used for wavetables maybe sine would be more logic but if its used for other stuff it would make no sense..
Nubeat7

Postby KG_is_back » Wed May 28, 2014 1:37 am

Here.... this should be as stable as possible (having a bypass everywhere possible). Working alternative memin and memarrayin, with working wave read and wave array read primitive copies.
Should behave exactly the same as the stock ones (the code is 95% identical)
Only one bug I can't solve - the mem to pointers module doesn't react to disconnection of the mem connector. Stock wave read stops playing if you disconnect it - this one doesn't until you trigger the mem connector. That causes crashes if you disconnect the mem connector and change the wave in the memory (the reader doesn't know the mem had changed and keeps reading the stuff at that position = crash). This problem should not occur in exported plugin/app (unless you use multiplexers for mem connectors).
Attachments
alternative memarrayin.fsm
(80.18 KiB) Downloaded 1011 times
KG_is_back

Postby Nubeat7 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:27 pm

thx KG,

as small part of mine i packed all the green stuff in the 'wavearray to pointers' module in a single ruby methode.
Attachments
alternative memarrayinNB1.fsm
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 1018 times
Nubeat7

Postby KG_is_back » Thu May 29, 2014 9:58 am

Nubeat7 wrote:thx KG,as small part of mine i packed all the green stuff in the 'wavearray to pointers' module in a single ruby methode.

Now that's one for a toolbox... Now I'm working on a wavetable oscillator (similar to stock one) and wavetable-array oscillator (Finally something unimplemented).
KG_is_back

Postby adamszabo » Thu May 29, 2014 4:36 pm

KG_is_back wrote:Now that's one for a toolbox... Now I'm working on a wavetable oscillator (similar to stock one) and wavetable-array oscillator (Finally something unimplemented).

Wow thats cool, make sure you post the results, it would be very interesting to see what you come up with!
adamszabo

Postby KG_is_back » Thu May 29, 2014 8:13 pm

Here a wavetable osc. With the Wave array it is a little more complicated... The wave array set primitive seems kinda buggy.
Attachments
wavetable osc.fsm
(16.12 KiB) Downloaded 1023 times
KG_is_back

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples