Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Mercury - A monophonic VA

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Mercury - A monophonic VA

Postby Spogg » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:04 pm

I went back and checked the triggers. I measured about 20 per second on the scopes which is fine. I checked with Windows Task manager and it’s not an issue. So I would keep the scopes (I really like them) but maybe this is something with the FS4 alpha. In any case green triggers don’t mess with the audio stream unless the CPU is close to burning. Audio has priority, so realistically the worst that might happen is the scopes would become jerky, and I don’t see this even in the FS edit environment (core i7 gen 2 on FS 3.06).

I see that the oversampling module isn’t connected and since you are using Martin’s wonderful oscillators I see no need to oversample for this synth. I believe that oversampling is more useful for processing audio, but I wait to be corrected on that view.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Halon » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:30 pm

Ok thank you spogg, that is good to hear. I will keep the scopes then. :)

I guess i wont need the oversampler then.
Halon

Postby trogluddite » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:48 pm

Halon wrote:And you might have noticed the oversample module inside. Should i place the entire schematic inside the oversample module?

Assuming that the raw oscillators and filters are free of aliasing (I would guess that they are), oversampling will make the most difference wherever high-frequency harmonics can be added to the signal - at first glance, probably the 'tanh' distortion modules, and possibly oscillator 1 (because it allows FM). At the very least, you can't mix poly and mono sections within the same oversampling block, so you'd need more than one to tackle every possible source of aliasing.

If you're happy for the synth to be monophonic (I rather like dedicated mono bass/lead synths, personally), it might be possible to convert the whole schematic to use only mono stream throughout and then oversample the whole thing - however, that would be quite a big task, as it would require custom MIDI handling, envelopes, and maybe other components.

Whether it will make much difference is a matter of how sensitive you are to hearing aliasing and whether you find it offensive or not. Personally, I didn't notice anything objectionable with everything cranked up, and it seems like it would be a lot of work for little return. Maybe just try it out on the output distortion (the easiest one to do), and see whether you notice enough difference to make it worth your while?
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby Halon » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:47 pm

trogluddite wrote:
Halon wrote:And you might have noticed the oversample module inside. Should i place the entire schematic inside the oversample module?

Assuming that the raw oscillators and filters are free of aliasing (I would guess that they are), oversampling will make the most difference wherever high-frequency harmonics can be added to the signal - at first glance, probably the 'tanh' distortion modules, and possibly oscillator 1 (because it allows FM). At the very least, you can't mix poly and mono sections within the same oversampling block, so you'd need more than one to tackle every possible source of aliasing.

If you're happy for the synth to be monophonic (I rather like dedicated mono bass/lead synths, personally), it might be possible to convert the whole schematic to use only mono stream throughout and then oversample the whole thing - however, that would be quite a big task, as it would require custom MIDI handling, envelopes, and maybe other components.

Whether it will make much difference is a matter of how sensitive you are to hearing aliasing and whether you find it offensive or not. Personally, I didn't notice anything objectionable with everything cranked up, and it seems like it would be a lot of work for little return. Maybe just try it out on the output distortion (the easiest one to do), and see whether you notice enough difference to make it worth your while?

Thanks for the explanation trog. I'll just leave it as it is as it sounds fine as it is now. Thanks again. :)
Halon

Previous

Return to User Examples