Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Eno-style generative music project

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Eno-style generative music project

Postby k brown » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:35 pm

Wow - you really 'went to town' on this, so much good effort; this really should be considered a full-blown co-llab'.

Only thing I changed was, I didn't dig the '1 to All' button stuffed up there in the corner - did you do that for safety reasons, too easy to ruin a preset by clicking it accidentally?

Love your presets and the titles :D
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby Spogg » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:14 am

Thanks Kevin.

I really love the concept of this thing, and now it works the way I wanted it to. I had great fun and interest doing the changes, and making the presets was a real pleasure. :D

I thought the 1 TO ALL button should be close to Line 1 and away from the more global settings and, as you say, an inadvertent click could eliminate an hours work (assuming the preset wasn’t saved in stages – something I never do myself). That was my thinking, but of course it’s up to you now.

Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to mess with it.

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:18 am

Thank YOU for working out so many things that were beyond my skills/knowledge.
:? :D
k brown

Postby k brown » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:10 am

I found a better spot for the "1 to All" button; added a couple more presets; corrected some of my initial ones that got saved with inharmonic Ratios.

twOOne spogg dev 17c .fsm
(6.8 MiB) Downloaded 897 times
Last edited by k brown on Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
k brown

Postby k brown » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:34 am

I did a version replacing the oscs with Martin's Spread Partials oscillators. I figured there may be someone who finds this generative concept interesting, but is not 'comfy' with FM programming, even the very simplified implementation of it in the original. Martin's brilliant creation allows 'entry' into these kinds of timbres with much less complexity.
From Martin's original post:

"This is achieved with a math trick used in single sideband modulation. The result is a partials sequence at frequencies f, f+d, f+2d, f+3d,...where f is the fundamental frequency and d is the spacing between partials. If you choose d = f you'll get the common harmonic series, while d = 2f gives you only odd harmonics comparable to a triangle or square wave. Useful for flute sounds. Higher spread factors d = 3f or d = 4f provide a marimba or vibraphone like sound. Non-integer spread factors result in anharmonic sounds which can be used to synthesize steel drums and other ethnic percussion instruments."

The oscillator controls will have to be reset for the presets, or new ones made (sorry).

I think I actually like this better; the GUI's cleaner, and I think the 2/1 concept works best with simpler timbres. Mostly I hope this simpler, more accessible oscillator encourages more people to experiment with this Generative concept.

twOOne spogg dev 17sp .fsm
(5.43 MiB) Downloaded 908 times

I've suffixed this version "...sp".

I thank you again for all the hard work you did on this - it's a much more flexible and pleasant to use tool.

I went to sleep last night with with this running :geek: :D .
k brown

Postby k brown » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:20 am

I've updated the schematic so that Partials 2 can either be added to Partials 1 or subtracted from it - greatly expands the timbres available.
k brown

Postby Spogg » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:19 pm

I think the new place for the 1 TO ALL button is better. It’s more out of the way and still logical to be close to line 1.

I really like the new version sp with the spread oscillators. I was a bit concerned that the bell tones wouldn’t be as good, so I made a new preset and I’m happy to report that the sound is still nice and belly. Preset is included in the zip.

When I was making the preset (and the others previously) I was frustrated that I couldn’t just trigger a line while it was in normal running mode. So I modified it so you can click on the line number to re-trigger the sound at will, while it’s running. Each line number label now responds to mouse-over and left mouse down, to sync the appropriate free-running square wave oscillator. If you hate it, just use the original schematic instead and you can load my new preset into that.

I updated the Change Log.

Cheers

Spogg
Attachments
twOOne dev 18sp.zip
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 907 times
Spogg

Postby k brown » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:51 am

Very clever addition, and done in a way that doesn't impact the GUI - eggzalant :D
k brown

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:20 am

this seems like a really exciting project :) thanks for the study material :D
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Previous

Return to User Examples