Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

(RUBY) Advanced Color Management

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: (RUBY) Generic Color Mixer incl. alpha

Postby RJHollins » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:35 am

It can be the 'simple concept' that be most difficult :|

Side comment ...

I know we all would like to see more participation/involvement in the forums. I could make all kinds of excuses for my level [or lack thereof] of activity. I pray that my family gets through this major crisis and get some normalcy of life back. Mid-July is the moving date. Then I will begin building a new Mastering Studio to get back to work. I'm currently working on the new design as we also consolidate and pack. It will take plenty of effort and money to do this, with only a single opportunity to do this correct.

The people both at the SM and now FS forum have been so kind and beyond helpful in helping me realize several projects that I've needed to do. I've no formal training in computer programming. In college they 'taught' us about a Z-80 processor. I seem to recall that if the code we wrote made the buzzer BEEP ... you basically passed the course. :ugeek: :lol:

Regardless of the current craziness, I try to follow every thread here. There is always so interesting concepts going on, and I try to check out the posted schematics in an effort to learn ... even if its' something I'm not in current interest. To THAT .... I find interest in seeing HOW someone has crafted a solution to a particular problem or section.

I have mentioned to the helpful GURU's here that I see oft times an 'elegance' to there schematic. I believe it is much more than 'knowing what all the PRIMs do', but also a special mindset [if that term is proper].

I've rarely shown it, but I can [due to being very stubborn] can make a truly dreadful maze of a mess that generally works [beta-testing could prove otherwise] :roll: I guess this is my form of experimentation and learning ... to which I so much appreciate a platform like FLOWStone. Since nobody around me has any clue to programming, the ONLY place I have is the forum, and the Members here.

I HAVE tried to minimize my usual comments of praise to all the threads I follow, so as NOT to distract from the conversation ... and to also NOT have other members tire of my gratitude or amazement in what they design or the levels they are looking to take it to.

I didn't mean to deflect this specific thread. I just wanted to express how important this forum, and specifically the Members here are to me and probably many others that may be shy to say.

Sincerely,
RJ
8-)
RJHollins

Postby tulamide » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:52 pm

Thanks RJ,

to me you're like Flowstone's mascott. It wouldn't be the same without your rare and shy questions ;)

Regarding 'elegance': That's just taking the time to tidy up before posting. Ok, a structure is also there, but that's pretty much normal, if you know what you want to realize.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Nubeat7 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:10 pm

tulamide wrote:@Nubeat7: check your email ;)

thanks Tom, just tested the latest version and it seems that everything is working fine, the function to create multiple palettes is really neat and very helpful, also that it automatically adds an empty color slot when you set the last one is a good solution.

the import/export options are working well too, i really like it that it allows you to import / export different palettes into one colormixer (maybe colorbank or colorpalettes would fit better now?).

so far no issues, looking forward to the final version, thank you :)
Nubeat7

Postby tulamide » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:55 pm

Nubeat7 wrote:
tulamide wrote:@Nubeat7: check your email ;)

thanks Tom, just tested the latest version and it seems that everything is working fine, the function to create multiple palettes is really neat and very helpful, also that it automatically adds an empty color slot when you set the last one is a good solution.

the import/export options are working well too, i really like it that it allows you to import / export different palettes into one colormixer (maybe colorbank or colorpalettes would fit better now?).

so far no issues, looking forward to the final version, thank you :)

Thanks for testing! I was under the impression of having one palette, splitted into groups of colors with individual titles. So I don't really see it as several palettes, but titled groups of colors that form one big palette.

The initial thought for this was "how would I work with this?". I would love to have smaller groups of colors that belong to one functionality, for example the group "Activity" with two colors for the on-state and the off-state. Or a group that holds all colors for a volume knob, etc.

It's too bad, I don't have more comments here. I could have adapted that functionality to people's preferences.
tulamide

Postby Nubeat7 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:17 pm

tulamide wrote:I was under the impression of having one palette, splitted into groups of colors with individual titles.

sure, i also understand it like this but what inspired me to denote them as different palettes, was the fact that when i export it, the actual group gets exported and not the whole palette - which btw i see as a feature! but this makes me seeing the individual groups more as individual palettes then as part of a palette,

which also brings me to the question if a option to import / export group or whole palette would make sense or what would be preferred by others, i could live well with both while i tend to prefer the individual saving of the groups like it is now.
Nubeat7

Postby tulamide » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:18 pm

Nubeat7 wrote:which also brings me to the question if a option to import / export group or whole palette would make sense or what would be preferred by others

I second this. Community, what do you prefer? Group only export, or a choice to export single groups or the whole palette?

For all who are interested. I just had Nubeat testing the newest version (r5). I will now take care of a three minor issues. Also, I had a look at Photoshop's .aco format (the color file generated when exporting colors from Photoshop). It seems that it is possible to program an import function for those. Are you interested in it? (I am, since I could work on a GUI draft in Photoshop, then export all used colors to be ready for import in the color mixer)
tulamide

Postby Tronic » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:37 pm

both? ;)
Tronic

Re: (RUBY) Advanced Color Management

Postby tulamide » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:42 am

It was hard work, but here's r5.

acm_mixer.png
acm_mixer.png (51.03 KiB) Viewed 23950 times
acm_receiver.png
acm_receiver.png (4.52 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

Imports internal .cex and Adobe .aco formats
    Unlimited colors per group
    Unlimited groups
    Centralized color management for all elements of a schematic

Since nobody but Tronic answered my question, I didn't change export options. Blame yourself.

Before I can release it on Guru, it needs to be heavily tested. I don't mean a download and a quick look. I mean to actually use it while prototyping. It doesn't need to be your next synth, but it should be tested under normal development conditions.

If you are truly willing to test it in that way, leave a line here, and I'll pm you a download link. Then use it and report back here with everything you like to mention. Even if you're not sure if it is an issue. Or if you have problems with the GUI, etc.
tulamide

Re: (RUBY) Advanced Color Management

Postby tulamide » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:38 pm

To avoid having to write this a dozen times (yes, I'm optimistic that so many of you will be willing to help), I post it here. It's a user guide/reference

Working with ACM
First add the Mixer to your schematic on the top level. Then add receivers wherever you need them. A color you select in the receiver stays connected to the mixer. Any changes to that color in the mixer are instantly reflected in the receiver.

All number fields
R, G, B control the RGB shares of a color. H, S, V control the HSV shares of a color. HSV is mapped to RGB. # (hex- or webcolor) is the hexadecimal representation of R, G and B. A is the alpha value. All fields interact with each other to reflect changes immediatly.
LMB + {hold}: Change value
DC: Enter value, you can also copy/paste then

Spectrum control
Corresponds to Hue
LMB: Select a hue
LMB + {hold}: Drag through hues

Gradient control
corresponds to Saturation (x-axis) and Value (y-axis)
LMB: Select a shade
LMB + {hold}: Drag through shades
LMB + {hold} + [SHIFT]: Only drag along y-axis
LMB + {hold} + [CTRL]: Only drag along x-axis
The last two always refer to the original spot when first clicked!

Group control
Here you manage all of your colors. Corresponds to the receivers. Whatever you enable here, will be selectable in the receivers.
    Icon bar
    From left to right: Import, Export, Delete Group, Add Group, Scroll one group back, Scroll one group forth
      Import:
      A file dialog opens where you may select either .cex or .aco formats and then the file from which you wish to import colors.
      Export:
      A file dialog opens where you may enter a file name to export the current group to.
      Delete Group:
      Deletes the current group. If it is the last group a new group is created automatically.
      Add Group:
      Inserts a new group before the current group. If you wish to add a new group to the end of the list, press [CTRL] while clicking.
    Group name control
    Give your groups unique names or select another group
      Name field: LMB - Edit color group name
      Popup list icon: LMB - Open the menu to select a group
    Color field area
    Each group's colors are displayed here. Each group consists of exactly one empty color field and unlimited non-empty color fields.
      Empty color field: RMB - Fill with current selected color. A new empty field is added automatically.
      Non-empty color field:
        RMB - Replace with current selected color
        RMB + [SHIFT] - Delete color field
        LMB - Select this color (fills all number fields, the spectrum and the gradient control with this color's values)
      Color field area: Mouse over, then [CTRL], then LMB + {hold} to scroll through the color fields.

Receiver
Appears just like the color prim. To make changes, select the properties. There you are presented with the groups and you select any of the groups and colors.
tulamide

Postby martinvicanek » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:40 pm

Thanks, tulamide, that helped!
I have one problem though: The save dialog offers only .cex not .aco file format. However, Photoshop seems to work only with .aco, .act and .ase but not .cex. Any ideas?
martinvicanek

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples