Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Lissajou Art

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Lissajou Art

Postby Spogg » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:03 am

Here is the DEVILISH with my new module added:

The GOBOLE (Generator Of Buccal Opening Lissajou Effects :D ).

This requires a microphone input to the DEVILISH from your soundcard. You play a MIDI note (or use the onboard test note) and the mouth responds to your voice.
The incoming voice can be mixed to taste with the audio and you can choose this to be Ring Modulated if you want that sound.

Some parameters are hidden from the front panel. These determine the shape of the Gob (English slang for mouth just in case you don't get it!). All these settings are saved with the preset so be careful! I've included the individual presets in the upload just in case.

I've made a few tweaks to the DEVILISH console. Module 04 (empty) wasn't displaying (wiring error). All presets re-made with the unused modules muted to make development easier.

Tip: I had no idea how to create the mouth shape and tried several schematics with no success. Then I had the idea to use the Magic Writer to sketch what I wanted. I scoped the two channels and I could then see what I was aiming for. In this way it was much easier to generate the waveforms needed and trim the phases etc. to get the correct alignment.
Tip: While working on this I temporarily copied the Lissajou underlay display from the Magic Writer into the GOBOLE module. In this way I could see what I was doing in real time without having to check the main display. I deleted it after.
Tip: When creating a new module save frequently with unique file names and save test presets frequently. This is generally good practice for creation anyway but I found it was so easy to get carried away, make a bad mistake then had to back-track and re-do stuff.

I hope you have a bit of fun with this and, as ever, please give any type of feedback.

Cheers

Spogg
Attachments
Quilcom DEVILISH with GOBOLE added.zip
Includes the presets
(1.42 MiB) Downloaded 1201 times
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:09 pm

Just grabbed it. Give me a day to report back. I'm excited to see what it will do to me...
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby BobF » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:14 pm

Hi Spogg,
AS tulamide said. Will let you know after plying with it for awhile. Sounds VERY wild though.
Later , BobF.....

Hi Again,
Well as usual VERY cool! Now all see need to do is add some eye's.
BobF

Postby tulamide » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:41 pm

Very cool! Yes, I like it, not so much the color or the gui, but the figures you realized. Very good work!

This is not to discourage us, but I stumbled across this thingy, and all I can say is: We can't compete with WebGL (=OpenGL)! We just can't... http://tytel.org/lissa/
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Perfect Human Interface » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:01 am

That's actually quite similar to the "phosphored" display we had here, albeit much smoother. You can even see the artifacts in the background from where it doesn't quite reach 100% black. That display also reacts much too slow to look right with that "oscillator music" audio we've been using. But that's partially what makes it look so nice. They created a synth that's randomized in such a way that it makes lots of pretty shapes, and then smoothly transitions between them.

I do however still think that trying to make anything particularly pretty in Flowstone is a dead end. :P

The creation of audio generators that look cool on a display is much more interesting.
Perfect Human Interface

Postby Spogg » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:38 pm

@tulamide: It's a great toy and very pretty but it's kind of a cheat. The 'Lateral' setting is fair enough. You can do a lot of that sort of stuff and more in the 'Unison +2' module of the DEVILISH. Just experiment.
My next module will feature rotation which is actually quite easy. I may make it an optional part of the DEVILISH console for all modules (like the animation envelopes) but I need to play a bit first.

So, what's the cheat then, I hear you ask ;)
Well, if you select Rotation mode, then kill the sound on the app on the Y channel, you still can get a circle. On ONE channel. Or the other way round and kill the X channel, still only sounds on ONE channel. So, in conclusion, the app is NOT letting you hear the actual x/y or L/R sound but is showing you a nice image which relates to the sound but is generating the display with a phase shifted signal that you don't hear.

In fact I guess it's not really a cheat since the guy doesn't claim that you see what you hear, which is actually my current aim. Aron makes some lovely patterns on his demo but you don't hear them, so they could be choreographed to kinda fit any music.

I do like the display because it suits his generator but it would be far too sluggish for me. I need a fast and accurate response. He uses a slew rate limiter on his knobs, so the response is slowed down but the effect is nice. He describes himself as one who makes art with technology and I applaud that big-time and his resulting toy is delightful I think. I also think the display's persistence effect (phosphor effect) suits the app. Maybe someone could make such a feature selectable on the next display.

@PHI: I think that at some point (soon I hope!) Mr. Tulamide will prove that you can do pretty stuff in Ruby. If so, this might encourage others to buy, learn and use Flowstone.

I'm loving this topic... :D

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Spogg » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:44 pm

Me, yet again :o

Here's the DEVILISH with my latest module added; the 'Classic'.
This can create rotating figures and a lot more.
You can create a limitless amount of classic lissajou patterns that you CAN hear and play from MIDI.
The 6 presets I made just give a flavour of what's possible, so you need to experiment. I've put some comments on the module's GUI so you can get started. The DEVILISH console itself is unchanged this time.

Have fun and gimme a bit of feedback pleeeeese!

Cheers

Spogg
Attachments
Quilcom DEVILISH with Classic module.zip
(1.86 MiB) Downloaded 1179 times
Spogg

Postby BobF » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:33 am

Hello Spogg,

FANTASTIC, I love it, just what I had in mind. The rotate is so cool and much more. I am making a video to send to a friend back home. Keep it going.....

Later then, BobF.....
BobF

Postby martinvicanek » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:32 am

Well, you seem to be enjoying it. :lol:
Here is some kinky stuff (in the literal sense). Uses one of the first displays though, and is not very flexible. Anyways.
Attachments
Polyhedron.fsm
(76.75 KiB) Downloaded 1175 times
martinvicanek

Postby Spogg » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:21 pm

Jeez Martin! You've no idea how clever that seems to me :D
This is a HUGE leap forward in The Quest!
I intend to study the code but may I ask... is the x,y,z display module universally useable and if so, what is the data format for the inputs? For instance, if I wanted to make a cube would I have to edit and match the inside of the xyz module or just push stuff into it to get what I want displayed? So many questions :shock:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, here's the fruits of today's labour - the DEVILISH now has another new module added; the Spyrogyra.

This started off experimenting with spiral generation and ended up with much more. I'm really quite pleased with one or two of the presets, so see what you think.

I'm afraid the zipped file size has now exceeded the Forum's maximum so it's a Dropbox link from now on. 2 meg does seem a bit small these days.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/be54yq6zz6jr4 ... 0.zip?dl=0

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples