Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

From out of Spogg's ASS !

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

From out of Spogg's ASS !

Postby k brown » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:22 pm

Sorry - you're gonna be living that one down for awhile ;) .

I took the enormous cheeky liberty :o of 'extracting' the Delay/Reverb from the A.S.S synth and GUI'd them up in a style reminiscent of the Maestro Echoplex. I replaced the head switches with a rotary knob that makes the same selections as the 'Mode Select' knob on the RE-201 (you should correct your ASS user manual, by the way-it says RE-210), and added Bass and Treble controls for the Echo output.

Internally I boosted the Delay feedback input a touch; I felt that on high feedback sounds, the repeats were dying too quickly - a tape copy of a sound doesn't degrade quite that much IMHO (I also reduced the LP filter in the FB loop for the same reason).

SpaceOhplex copy.jpg
SpaceOhplex copy.jpg (62.72 KiB) Viewed 15490 times

SpaceOhplex.fsm
(889.42 KiB) Downloaded 975 times

Since it works much like the Space Echo, but looks more like an Echoplex (but doesn't claim to be an accurate emulation of either), I'm provisionally calling it SpaceOhplex; obviously it will be called whatever you want (Quil-choplex?, Quil-chorec?, ASS FX?).

I love having these creations of yours available as an outboard to use with any synth, plus you know I go for vintage-y GUIs :geek: .

Maybe put a hotlink on the panel to the Flowstoners website?

If you're OK with the concept, but really want the four 'head' switches, I'll do an alternate version with those instead.
Last edited by k brown on Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:38 am, edited 10 times in total.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Re: From out of Spogg's ASS !

Postby Spogg » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:20 pm

I’m so glad you found something inside my ASS that appeals! :lol:

This is a great take on that “retro” echo & spring reverb unit. The front panel looks lovely, and very fitting. I’m not at all concerned about how you decided to deal with the 4-head thing, in fact your system seems more intuitive.

I’ve said this many times: I want people to feel free to do whatever they want with anything I share and that even includes making commercial products. If you make an info panel for it you could mention my real name (Rex Basterfield in case you forgot) but even that’s not an expectation. And the name for it is good!

A few initial thoughts…

I assume you intend to add a preset manager (even if hidden, for the DAW).
I also noticed that in Reverb-only mode the Reverb level acts like a dry-wet mix knob, rather than just a wet reverb level.
Finally I have to ask whether Martin’s clever multi-colour LED level indicator is really in keeping with the vintage look. I think (but I don’t know) that a Vu meter might look better. That’s me pretending to know stuff about UI design. :lol:

Great work again, and thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:59 pm

Glad you have no objections.

All good thoughts. Not having an RE-201 to compare (and it's manual is not much help), I figured the reverb level staying a wet/dry was most useful. Though the RE-201 had a VU, the Echoplex did not, so I'll probably change the lamp to the more vintage looking one I used on the MV Effex Rack. I kinda didn't want to make the panel bigger just to put a VU on, but maybe I'll play with it; I know there's one that looks almost identical to the RE-201's.

I figured having presets on this was a little silly, but if needed for DAWs, then - good point, I'll put a Manager 'inside'.

I am going to add an info panel that will contain your text from the A.S.S. manual, and since you didn't voice any objection, a hotlink to Flowstoners.

Thanks again - this is a great effect combo. :D
k brown

Postby k brown » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:32 pm

Updated in original post - 3-segment out level indicator, based on the four-lamp rec level indicator of the Echoplex. Added hotlink to the Quilcom page of Flowstoners, and Info button with text from A.S.S. user manual, plus my explanation of the various Mode functions.
k brown

Postby Spogg » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:55 pm

This is now perfect (in my opinion). :D

Well done Kevin and thanks for honouring my work by doing this. You made me feel good.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:14 pm

Happy to do it !
k brown

Postby trogluddite » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:08 pm

k brown wrote:(Quil-choplex?, Quil-chorec?, ASS FX?)

"Rectum" + "Echoplex" -> "Rectoplex"? :lol:
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby k brown » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:24 pm

Sad thing is - I actually like the sound of that.

Glad(?) to have you back. :? :D
k brown

Postby k brown » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:11 am

Updated to include a Low Cut switch that affects the delay repeats only - inspired by a major difference between the Roland Space Echo and the Echoplex - with the SE (and most other tape delays) each repeat becomes a bit duller; with Echoplex, each becomes thinner, with more low end gradually rolling off.

Also, I forgot to connect the tape-emu wow and flutter. :oops:
k brown

Postby RJHollins » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:39 am

trogluddite wrote:
k brown wrote:(Quil-choplex?, Quil-chorec?, ASS FX?)

"Rectum" + "Echoplex" -> "Rectoplex"? :lol:

Hilarious :lol:

Thanks ... needed that ...
RJHollins

Next

Return to User Examples