Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Synthmaker bundle

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Synthmaker bundle

Postby Knob Twiddler » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:45 pm

tulamide wrote:No you can't use that one. However, there are Flowstone-/Synthmaker-based synths, where you draw your waveform. Also, if I recall correctly, Spogg just did an application for creating waveforms just a few months ago. The files they create will be usable.

Still curious, do you have a name or link?
Knob Twiddler

Postby knozzers » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:47 pm

k brown wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qfy63btjs6v8jqn/AACwv0lT22oBIqaLAotyW3aqa?dl=0
'Chorg PS-20' S/H fixed - I had the Mod Gen square wave positive-going only and the S/H triggers off of zero-cross!

Thanks for the fast correction - and I am relieved that I'm not stupid in my old days ;)

The s+h works now very good, and as this synth has its own character, if s+h/MG/pink noise controls the filters along with the oscillators (or alone), it is able to produce some unique sound effect staccatos I've never heard from the old MS-20.
Great work ! Very inspiring !
knozzers

Postby cakebox » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:44 pm

k brown wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qfy63btjs6v8jqn/AACwv0lT22oBIqaLAotyW3aqa?dl=0

'Chorg PS-20' S/H fixed - I had the Mod Gen square wave positive-going only and the S/H triggers off of zero-cross!

'The Putnie' partially fixed - an incorrect connection inside the Ramp/Tri/'Saw oscillator.

I'm getting no misbehavior from the step LFO - full slider ranges. As for automation, not sure exactly what that means - I'm not a DAW user. Remember this is not an actual sequencer, just a simple step LFO 'standing-in' for one.

Regarding the Matrix opening full of pins, all I can say is it doesn't happen when I open it in vstHost. The synth opens with a default patch approximation "On The Run" from "Dark side of the Moon"; only the pins required for this patch are populated. Anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

As for the mod of EG decay - it doesn't work because I could never figure out how to do it in SM - I left it in the Matrix in case I ever figured it out -anyone know how?

Wow - that was quick! (And those landscapes aren't going to paint themselves, you know.)
Thank you.

I too am using VSTHost to try these out - v1.54 on Vista and 1.54 & 1.47 on XP - so apologies for my poorly expressed post above. Let me try and clarify.

The 'On the Run' patch is fine! It's patches 2-50 (1-49?) that open with the matrix full and the sequencer slider ranges shortened.
By 'automation' all I meant was VSTHost's MIDI->Parameter mapping. All the GUI knobs/buttons send messages that it happily maps to knobs/buttons on my control surface - the exceptions being the Sequencer sliders and the Joystick; the matrix pins send a message (all labelled 'Samplelooper-reverse') but don't respond to any CC messages my controller sends.
At the risk of confusing things even further ...
Saving patches/banks in .fxp/.fxb formats works well - with a couple of 'quirks': If I close/open a session, the first slider on the Sequencer is always set to full for all patches; and the joystick position is not saved.

But these are all just minor niggles with an otherwise excellent instrument, and aren't going to put me off using it. The Decay modulation would be nice - for those 'ray-gun' / 'bouncing ball' type effects - but it's all too easy to over-use, and there are generally other/better ways to achieve the same kind of sounds. (In fact, the initial release of the Xils clone didn't modulate the decay of the traps, and the shape of oscillator 1's Sine couldn't be changed. It took about 5 years before it was fixed - a long wait for those who paid around $300 for it!)

It's about 40 years since I last had my hands on a real Synthi, but I know of about 15-20 VST's that are 'based on', 'inspired by' or more-or-less faithful emulations of the hardware.
This was in my top 3 even before the fix.

On a separate point - there's a more legible scan of the Allen Strange book on Buchla's own site for any intrepid explorers wishing to get to grips with the Weasel http://www.buchla.com/guides/Music-Easel-Operation-Manual-2nd-Ed.pdf
It's on my 'to-do' right after the ARPs - if I ever manage to tear myself away from the Putnie.
cakebox

Postby k brown » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:43 pm

The patch problems must have something to with the internal SM Preset Manager, which I've never used and know almost nothing about - can a Flowstoner check this out and offer a fix?

The step LFO slider loading at the top position is known to me and I've not been able to figure out a fix.

For those interested in wave drawing, there was a couple of things in the wavetable package I uploaded before, but here are some complete WaveDraw synths.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zc4oaxim9n2e ... RvEWa?dl=0

And, still on my Oberheim obsession: A Two-Voice version of the OB-1.

OB-2.zip
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 1134 times

OB-2 copy.jpg
OB-2 copy.jpg (89.72 KiB) Viewed 27585 times
Last edited by k brown on Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby nix » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:39 pm

Yeah, I caught that the presets aren't entirely implemented.
So someone might have to do the most tedious part of finishing a synth-
making each preset parameter name unique, and turning it on or adding a 'preset parameter' prim.
This is real boring, and sometimes a bit hard.
Each preset param is a float that must be in the range 0-1

The way to check that it's all good is to read the preset .txt in notepad.
There you can see that it's all in order.

Cheers

Was that landing on Venus about my avatar? I was certified alien when I lived in Ireland hehe
nix

Postby k brown » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:02 pm

Sorry, folks this is greek to me - Spogg, do you know what this is all about and how to fix?

Does this mean all my synths are useless as far as presets are concerned?

k brown
k brown

Postby k brown » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:19 pm

OB-2 originally uploaded with a dead Voice #2; link in that post is now to the corrected version.

The Venus remark was about the fact that I didn't understand most of your post.

It's odd to me that I can create and re-load presets in vstHost that record and recall the setting of all the controls, but when using a DAW (which I guess utilizes the SM internal Preset Manager) to save presets this doesn't happen?

k brown
k brown

Postby nix » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:31 pm

Which synth of yours would you like me to do to show you what I mean?
It'll prolly take an hour or so--
sorry for being incomprehensible
nix

Postby k brown » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:40 pm

I think you mean going into every knob, switch, selector, etc., and changing every one to have a unique name inside it's Preset module?

If so, there is no way I can spend that kind of time doing that, and I guess Flowstoners will have to do that for themselves with synths they want to use in their DAWs (this is one of many reasons I uploaded the SM schematics and not just dll.s - so folks can re-shape these to their own purposes). I still don't get why a humble little free app like vstHost can save presets without having to do this.

k brown
k brown

Postby nix » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:55 pm

Yeah -that's what I meant.
There are a couple of tricks to make it easier-
but it's s a pain in the neck
nix

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples