Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Synthmaker bundle

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Synthmaker bundle

Postby k brown » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:07 pm

Success - was able to install in another computer - now what?
The Quilcom NINE folder doesn't contain the .fsm, only the dll.

Never mind - I got from your old forum post. I'll see what I can figure out.

Thanks again
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby k brown » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:51 pm

OK, copied your codes over to Assemblers in SM - works great.
As written, these are fade-in fade-out modules with 0.5 overlaps to create cross-fades. To emulate the 1050, I need them to instantaneously switch one to the next; I imagine a simple change to the code (leaving out the overlaps of course)?
k brown

Postby Spogg » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:35 am

k brown wrote: To emulate the 1050, I need them to instantaneously switch one to the next; I imagine a simple change to the code (leaving out the overlaps of course)?

Wouldn't the instant switching cause clicks, depending on where the switched waveform is at the time? Peak on one, zero on the next one would cause a huge click and the clicking would not be predictable.

You could use a ramp and stream min & max modules to just control a range of stream multiply prims. If clicking was an issue you could de-zip the control signals. A very simple DSP box can convert the boolean output of the min/max prims to stream 0-1.
You would then effectively have a "voltage" controlled input selector.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:04 pm

Well, audibly instantaneously anyway - I figured if the crossfades of your Quilcom NINE sequence could just be made much more brief, it would sound more or less instant - I doubt the old analog circuitry in the ARP 1050 was actually all that instantaneous.
What are the lines of code that determine the length of the fades?

I'm afraid you floated a little over my head at the end there - I don't know how to write code.
k brown

Postby Spogg » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:36 pm

The ASM code was done by Martin Vicanek so I can't interpret it, sorry. The module was designed specifically for cross-fading.
What you could do is set the upper and lower limits for the module then use an amplified ramp (say 0-10) and use an integer prim to step in whole numbers, to hit the values set, centrally.
For example, if you have range values set at 1.5 and 2.5 your integer step for that module would be at 2 and the output would be at its maximum value.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:48 pm

Thanks for these suggestions - I'll see what I can get to work.
k brown

Postby k brown » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:14 am

Ha - laugh's on me; turns out what actually ended up working perfectly was using the much-maligned-by-me stepLFO - I don't know why I assumed the answer wasn't there. With sliders up full and down full controlling VCAs, you get perfect, click-free instant on-off of audio - even runs at audio rates. Just replaced all the GUI/mouse bits and set the required stages and levels with text strings feeding the float array inputs. Six sLFO cores controlled by a master stage selector and rate control.
There probably is a leaner, more efficient way do do the same thing using prims/integers like you suggested, but I just don't have a full enough understanding of what a lot of those prims actually do and how to use them. What I did is probably a bit like cracking nuts with a sledge hammer, but the CPU does't seem at all high; I did try to lower it a bit by feeding all six sLFOs off a common digital ramp, but for some reason it didn't work - everything went haywire.
I can now sleep knowing I don't have to settle for these things just being mixers.
Now the only 2500 module that I still don't know how to emulate well is the full blown sequencer, the 1027. Even if I knew how I probably wouldn't bother - it takes up two full module slots and space is at a premium in these.
k brown

Postby Spogg » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:34 am

Glad you sorted out a method.

One of the many things I love about Flowstone is that, like with old-school electronics, there are often so many ways to achieve the result you want.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:28 am

As long as I'm in the mood to go a-beggin', does anyone know if an envelope was ever built that can have it's times changes while it's running (the only one I've encountered is Myco's exponential) that also has a trigger input; Myco's doesn't.
In synths using the sLFO, and using it to trigger envelopes, folks used to using hardware synths with sequencers are used to being able to change the envelope times while a sequence is running - with the only SM envelope I know of that has a trigger input (ADSR manual), you can't do that; they only change upon striking a new note.
I'm assuming that a trigger input can't be added to Myco's EG; it would require new code?
Times on this can actually be modulated by an LFO or whatever; but, no trig input.

MYCO exponential.osm.zip
(6.31 KiB) Downloaded 990 times

Thanks
k brown

Postby Spogg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:14 am

First off I never saw that osm exp ADSR so thanks for sharing that!

I'm not aware of any env that can have its times changed dynamically, while running.

In fact I tried this with the stock AHD env in my granular synth (not finished yet) and it caused major issues, glitches and unpredicatable behaviour. All 3 phases are determined by the number of samples specified for the AHD.
I had to use sample and hold to initiate the 3 values prior to manual triggering and then hold for the total AHD duration. That might be the way forward, for each LFO trigger to operate 3 s&h modules for the AD and R values but that's not changing during the cycle.

However, it's an interesting idea and I feel quite certain that such a thing could be made with what we already have available. Almost certainly it would need to be in DSP but since ADSRs are relatively slow, but need accuracy, it might also be possible in Ruby.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples