Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Synthmaker bundle

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Synthmaker bundle

Postby k brown » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:22 am

The answer to that is yes, to everyone - as stated in my original post.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby k brown » Wed May 02, 2018 12:28 am

Hi all -

Gotta question, especially for Spogg and/or Martin Vicanek: Do either of you recognize the code for this Saw osc; I think I 'lifted' it from a schematic during my brief Flowstone trial period and I ID'd it at the time as a Vicanek oscillator, but there is no text string inside it identifying it as such, as there is in his low-CPU/low distortion Sine osc. I've found that the sine osc sounds much better than the stock sine osc when used in a Carrier/Modulator FM (phase modulation) pair. Also the Saw exhibits no ringing or overshoot when seen on a scope -very clean. I'd like to include in the schematics credit to Martin if he wrote the Saw as well; if not, whoever did. I'd also like to give credit on my website.

mv BLEP saw copy.png
mv BLEP saw copy.png (13.67 KiB) Viewed 20077 times

mv sine copy.png
mv sine copy.png (180.31 KiB) Viewed 20077 times

Also, does anyone know of a similar code saw that can be used for PWM - this one can only be phase-shifted at exactly 50% (to make a square with another saw); at other angles it flies into wild distortion. And has a Sync input?

Thanks
k brown

Postby Spogg » Wed May 02, 2018 6:40 am

This is Martin's work for sure, so he'll need to answer your questions Kevin.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby martinvicanek » Wed May 02, 2018 7:35 am

Yup, that looks like mine indeed. Funny typo there, haha: <90% harmonic distortion should read < 90 dB.

Not sure what you mean by PWM for a saw? For me the P stands for "pulse", so a square wawe. What would be the pulse width of a saw? :? Although you can do morphing which sounds a bit like PWM.

About the sync input: I deliberately didn't include a sync input because it causes quite severe aliasing (try it with the stock osc!). To emulate the sync sound of an analog synth in the digital domain is a bit tricky, because the sync point generally falls between two samples. It can be done, but not in a neatly encapsulated general purpose modular fashion.
martinvicanek

Postby k brown » Wed May 02, 2018 9:14 am

Hi Martin, thanks.

What I meant was when using this saw osc to do PWM by the usual way of mixing two saws, inverting one and shifting it's phase to create various pulse widths, the oscillator goes wildly into distortion when the phase shift is anything but exactly 0.5; so can't produce pulse waves with it - only square.

I'll go through the synths I've used them in and add a credit to you in the notes. Great work - the sine makes very sweet-sounding phase modulation.

I know sync with the stock oscillators is pretty hashy, but it's a useful alternate tone color anyway.
k brown

Postby martinvicanek » Wed May 02, 2018 9:54 am

Thats odd! Pwm should work that way with any saw. Will check later.
Edit: No problem here with PWM. Please post schematic which demonstrates the problem that you are getting.
martinvicanek

Postby k brown » Thu May 03, 2018 5:24 am

mv pwm2b.png
mv pwm2b.png (33.19 KiB) Viewed 20028 times
mv pwm2.png
mv pwm2.png (35.67 KiB) Viewed 20028 times
mv pwm.png
mv pwm.png (42.02 KiB) Viewed 20028 times

Is there another way of doing PWM? - these are the only two I know of. How are you doing it?
k brown

Postby martinvicanek » Thu May 03, 2018 7:51 am

Sorry your images came out pixelized. Anyway, here is a little demo, hope it helps.
capture.png
capture.png (37.85 KiB) Viewed 20017 times
Attachments
PWM.fsm
(30.45 KiB) Downloaded 1027 times
martinvicanek

Postby k brown » Thu May 03, 2018 4:15 pm

Thanks for that, but I can't open the schematic I only have SM. I tried combining the saws with a stream subtract but get the same thing you see in the images I posted. Is your Phase control just a 0-1 de-zipped knob? And the Multiply module - just an attenuator? Is there anything in those Saw modules other than the code itself?

In general, is there an advantage to doing PWM with a steam subtract rather than mixing the phase-shifted saw through an inverter?

About the images I posted - there must something I'm not understanding. When I try to post larger, higher-res images I get a warning that they must 600 pixels on the largest dimension.
Last edited by k brown on Thu May 03, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k brown

Postby Spogg » Thu May 03, 2018 4:23 pm

Good Lord!

I appear to have spogged one of Martin's schematics! We live in strange times for sure :lol:

capture.png
capture.png (299.74 KiB) Viewed 19997 times

This small modification means the PWM waveform's offset won't change with the pulse width control value. The output is more like an analogue circuit, which passes a ramp through a level comparator.

This modification should reduce modulation breakthrough effects.

Cheers

Spogg
Attachments
PWM no offset .fsm
(114.48 KiB) Downloaded 999 times
Spogg

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples