Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Synthmaker bundle

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Synthmaker bundle

Postby k brown » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:53 am

In case it's of interest to Spogg, et-all - I read on a form (I think Muffwiggler) that one can do simple wavefolding with FM just by assigning the carrier a ratio of zero! I tried it, it works!, no symmetry control though. The complex oscillator in my "WavePalette" is based on the one in Aalto, but without the wavefolding; I just added it, by feeding the Carrier to the phase input of another sine with a ratio of zero - super simple.

k brown
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby Spogg » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:12 am

k brown wrote:In case it's of interest to Spogg, et-all - I read on a form (I think Muffwiggler) that one can do simple wavefolding with FM just by assigning the carrier a ratio of zero! I tried it, it works!, no symmetry control though. The complex oscillator in my "WavePalette" is based on the one in Aalto, but without the wavefolding; I just added it, by feeding the Carrier to the phase input of another sine with a ratio of zero - super simple.

k brown

I must be a bit thick because I don't get it :oops:
Is there any tiny chance you could upload a demo of the technique? Synthmaker format would be fine if it helps. Sorry!

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby DigiTonix » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:50 pm

It is the Bomb! I have been shocked!!! It simply fantasy... I apologise for the emotions :shock:

K Brown....Who you? Bite me a bee! And whence at you these masterpieces
At first I have thought that it is a joke but when has downloaded..., I..., I nearly PiPi :oops:
Dear friend, you bear the huge contribution, thanks for that that have shared!

SpoggThanks huge for your versions for FS :mrgreen:
Creative Technology for Bold Player's!
DigiTonix

Postby k brown » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:58 pm

DigiTonix:

Glad you like! Have fun and if you find anything amiss that you can fix, please share.

Spogg: It's like this: you have sine (modulator) phase modulating another Sine (Carrier); you then phase modulate a third sine with the carrier - this sine is set to ratio zero (literally put a float 0 in the detuner, or just a float 0 into a stream multiply from the Midi Frequency In). So you end up with a three-stack FM algo: Mod>Carr>'folder'. As in your code folder, the level of the carrier going into the 'folder' sine needs to be a bit more than zero, just to the sine out (approx. x0.05), then as you raise the level the folding begins. Combined with the waveform produced by the Mod/Carr ratio+modulation depth, you get a great variety of colors. Then if you use a tri or peak wave in place of one or more of the sines, well!

I'm out the door just now, but I'll upload something tonight.

k brown
k brown

Postby k brown » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:01 am

This should do ya.

Of course you don't need the FM part of it - you could just fold two oscillators (leave out the modulator), but the range of colors obtainable with folding an FM carrier is wonderful; this is, in fact the basis of the Complex Oscillator in Madrona Labs Aalto - they also add the ability to morph the carrier to a saw or a square and to mix in noise with the modulator.

k brown
Attachments
Ratio Zero Folder.osm.zip
(56.95 KiB) Downloaded 1391 times
k brown

Postby Spogg » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:02 pm

k brown wrote:This should do ya.

Of course you don't need the FM part of it - you could just fold two oscillators (leave out the modulator), but the range of colors obtainable with folding an FM carrier is wonderful; this is, in fact the basis of the Complex Oscillator in Madrona Labs Aalto - they also add the ability to morph the carrier to a saw or a square and to mix in noise with the modulator.

k brown

Absolutely totally fascinating Mr Brown :shock:

I didn't understand originally because I had no idea that the Sine prim would produce any output at all at a frequency of 0. I can now see that at f=0 and phase=0 the output would of course be zero but as the phase at f=0 is changed the "starting point" for the "cycle" would also change. Since the phase control is 0-1 representing a 360 degree shift every increase by 1 will produce a repeat cycle.

I tried using one of Martin Vicanek's ASM sine oscillators and it also folded but the waveform was horrible and also spiky. I'm sure he didn't create this with folding in mind. Maybe the prim works best because the stock Sine prim uses a wavetable rather than a procedure.

One observation is that this wave folder is what I have now termed "Bipolar", that is the positive and negative peaks fold simultaneusly, which my folder can achieve. However I'm not sure this method can do the unipolar and rectified versions that I saw online for the Buchla, Serge and others, but maybe it's possible with rectification, inversion and such...

Thank you so much for taking the time to demonstrate this for me. Really appreciated; it's great to learn new stuff :D

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:49 am

Amazing the things one can pick up by trolling the hardware synth forums!

Coming soon:
- Updated WavePalette with wavefolding in the Complex Oscillator.
- Updated Music Weasel with wavefolding Complex Oscillator.
- Just fine-tuning a Buchla-tribute synth emulating the Dodecamodule, a pair of 258 Dual Oscillators and the 221 keyboard (same I used in the System One D and E). This combo was inspired by David Morley's remarks (I think on Gearslutz) that he really misses his old System 200 Buchla, the heart of which was two 258s and the Dodecamodule. It also included the 217 touch-plate keyboard, sequencer and filter bank (I didn't take it that far). He made the interesting observation that most of the most-heard Buchla music (Subotnik, Cianni, etc.) was made with 158/258 Oscillators, not the later Complex Oscillators with wavefolding; the charcteristic 'sound' of Buchla is more down to the Low Pass Gates, band-pass filters and the unique touch-activated control surfaces.

k brown
k brown

Re: SM Bundle-ette

Postby Spogg » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:37 am

k brown wrote:As promised (threatened?), here's a few more:
- Crumar Sprit (no arppegiator, anyone want to add it?).
- EMS VCS3 Putney (slightly incomplete features).
- Ensoniq ESQ-1 (standard SM wavetables, not emulations - any want to/know how to put in the correct ones?).
- Oberheim Matrix-6 (in OB-X livery - don't like black and blue GUIs).
- Oberheim/Visccount OB-12 (very obscure synth; interesting architecture).
- Polyfusion System A modular.

k brown

I’ve now interfered again and processed Mr Brown’s latest gift to us; his new bundle-ette. I won’t repeat the details of what I did; just see my earlier post for info.

However, the Obie12 synth presented me with quite a challenge. When holding a note and playing further notes each new note caused a huge CPU spike and a disruption to the audio at the start of the sound.

This was down to LFO 1. This LFO has an adjustable onset delay. The LFO is polyphonic so you get an instance created for each note. However it’s not appropriate to use a delay line in a polyphonic section (as I found when I made my Quilcom QX7). I guess this is because each note will suddenly need to reserve memory for the delay and this LFO used 4 delay modules in DSP. Signal delays only work properly in Blue, where they are always running. This is what I’ve found, so hopefully someone will correct me if I’m mistaken.

I didn’t know if the original hardware had polyphonic LFOs (one per voice) so I took it that since it was polyphonic in the schematic it should remain so. I re-made the LFO onset delay and adjustable attack using the DAHDSR core found in the Analogue Kit (originally made by Myco?) and it seems to work nicely now. This uses the gate rather than the trigger from MIDI.

Also:

I removed the gating for the scopes to no apparent ill effect.

The parametric eq module was in the poly stream at the end of the signal chain so an instance was being created for every note. I moved it into the mono stream and couldn’t hear any difference but the CPU use benefitted. Maybe there was an advantage in having it in polyphonic so please educate me if there’s a benefit.

The link below is to the new FSMs and dll exports, and I’d like to thank Mr Brown for sharing even more of his great work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mzze0j3mpgtj4 ... t.zip?dl=0

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:38 pm

Thanks for catching those, Spogg - I realized the problem with those delays long ago and thought I'd gone through all my synths and replaced them with envelope core-based ones, but I missed this one!

Interesting about the EQ - I'll have to keep that in mind.

Just about done with the Dodecamodule-based synth. I would love it if some Flowstoner out there who has Buchla stuff or has had some time on one to help with emulation of the Source of Uncertainty (a simplified version of which was included in the Dodecamodule). Details online of exactly how this works and what it sounds like are very sketchy and video demos that utilize it always have a hundred other things going on - I've yet to find one that demonstrates it's functions in isolation. The page on the Wogglebug contains a block diagram of the Buchla 265, but it seems incomplete. My System One E attempts a simulation of one half of the 265, but I'm sure it's not working right. Can anyone HELP?!

Thanks all - Spogg, especially,

k brown
k brown

SM Bundle-ette2

Postby k brown » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:25 am

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/elxxpb7ayqoz ... FRwNa?dl=0

- New WavePalette with simple wavefolder, so it's closer to Aalto's osc.

- Three new versions of The Music Weasel with different oscillators.
One with 2-op FM that cross-fades between a ratio 1:1 modulator and 1:2 modulator as Timbre is raised. On the web it was claimed there at least a couple of different oscs used in the Music Easel, this seems similar to the oldest which was apparently simple FM with no wavefolding.
One with simple FM plus simple wavefolding.
One with a version of the Quillcom Folder (which scopes the most like the Easel osc).

- New SystemOne D with simple wavefolding.

- The Dodeca 258: emulation of the Buchla Dodecamodule, two 258 Dual Oscillators, my simplified version of the 221 Kinesthetic Input Port and a simple step LFO.

Here's to 'West Coast' synthesis!

k brown

-Oops - found and fixed a mistake in the Dodeca 258:
The Dodeca 258.osm.zip
(546.03 KiB) Downloaded 1419 times
k brown

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples