Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Automatic file reader

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Automatic file reader

Postby lalalandsynth » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:30 am

This is brilliant ! Thanks so much .

Suggestion , if it could trim away the .txt extension in the view , It would look like any other preset loader.

Thanks again :D
lalalandsynth

Postby tulamide » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:59 pm

lalalandsynth wrote:Suggestion , if it could trim away the .txt extension in the view , It would look like any other preset loader.
It should be implemented already. Go inside the module "files to list". In the RubyEdit, look for this line:
Code: Select all
menutext = filename

Replace it with this line:
Code: Select all
menutext = name

However, this is from the top of my head, don't be disappointed if it doesn't work. And if it does work, please report here :)
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby lalalandsynth » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:42 pm

Hi, no does not work :)
lalalandsynth

Postby kortezzzz » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:20 am

Great work 8-)

I would removing the file extension from the found file names and also let a simple full folder location finding with string (and not stick it to the "root folder name" only that is totally depanded on the plug-in's physical location. Very confusing...)
kortezzzz

Postby tulamide » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:15 pm

Exposing the complete file system is potentially dangerous. I won't do that. People should organize their plugins, in that they put it in a folder, with everything needed externally along with it. Like in this example:
tempsnip.png
tempsnip.png (5.98 KiB) Viewed 10592 times
The root folder would then be "99Sounds Drum Machine.instruments". Imagine, you'd enter "C:\" as root folder! My system does a complete recursive file search everytime you click. I can't even imagine how long it would take to search through some 300,000 files in 200,000 folders to build the tree-list of your complete harddisk (let alone building the popup menu)!
If you are looking for a file browser, that already exists. It is a Windows control and shows up, whenever you want to open or save something (I think it is used, when triggering the dialog prim).

I can have a look however, as to why it isn't already possible to just show the names without extensions. I know for a fact, that I use Ruby's methods to split the filenames up.

EDIT: And you wouldn't even be able to set a full path. How would you know, where your user might have saved your plugin, or your patches, or your wave-files, etc. Or the user name of your user, in case he puts in user/documents.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby kortezzzz » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:16 pm

Yes, you are right about the "look into C:\" situation. Maybe the reasonable solution is to post it with a warning and let people do with it whatever they want with their own responsibility.

I always target the installation of my installers to "my documents\firm_name\plugin_name" folder and I warn my plugins users to save any new data there and only there or the graphical radio buttons based preset manager and other features won't work. So far, barely had complains about that, excluding few time when the user didn't want to install any plugins related folders to C\: and requested a solution for installing to D:\. In that situation, His vstplugins folder is on C:\ and he wanted any other related data and folders on D:\. So there was no way I could use your method :| For instance, in Yumbu drum sampler, I've created a manual "locate folder" system that allows locating the plugin's folder anywhere on the computer. The location then is saved to a text file and I'm done. I can't do it with your solution.
kortezzzz

Previous

Return to User Examples