Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

I Need Help Building A Good FM Synth

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

I Need Help Building A Good FM Synth

Postby newdsp » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:38 pm

I need help building a good FM synth but so far I haven't found any FM focused examples. Here is what i have so far. Just a starting point. Also there is a broken example from FL Synthmaker but it's doesn't work properly. I mean it's doing something but it's not following the pitch or the midi input. All these files work with FlowStone 3.0.9b2.
Attachments
FL DX11.osm.fsm
This is the one that is not following the midi input.
(212.38 KiB) Downloaded 756 times
FM Synth 001.zip
(336.83 KiB) Downloaded 782 times
newdsp

Re: I Need Help Building A Good FM Synth

Postby Spogg » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:27 pm

My old QX7 might help:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3668&hilit=qx7

But pleeeeease use 3.06 :lol:
Spogg

Postby newdsp » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:59 pm

Thank you. The QX7 at least works in 3.0.9 but the question is... How do I convert the older examples to work in 3.0.9 ? You managed somehow to convert the QX7 to 3.0.9 so there must be a way. And why is 3.0.6 not compatible with 3.0.9 ?

Also, the QX7 is not explaining how the algorithm switching is supposed to work. The patch bay from QX7 is different compared to the algorithm switching found in Dexed.

Here is a my basic FM synth using multistage envelopes but it's far away from finished.
I will have to convert the QX7 to multistage envelopes somehow but they don't fit on one page.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fR341i ... sp=sharing
Last edited by newdsp on Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
newdsp

Postby trogluddite » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:27 am

newdsp wrote:why is 3.0.6 not compatible with 3.0.9?

Bugs. All of the versions from 3.0.7 upwards have serious bugs. Their effects are not always obvious; but they can cause severe resource allocation problems (e.g. memory leaks), or they can corrupt schematics, the toolbox, or the FS program installation. If a 3.0.6 schematic won't open for you, it is most likely because of these bugs (back-compatibility was intended). 3.0.9 is too rarely used and the bugs are too poorly understood for us to advise how you might avoid them.

As Spogg has been telling you, the choice is very simple: Either you can carry on working with a buggy version of the software which prevents us from helping you because we can't share schematics. Or you can roll back to 3.0.6. We do realise that rolling back may be painful - many of us lost work when we rolled back. But no-one who uses the forum can change this situation, nor can we make DSPr change it. People will help you only if you make it possible for them to help you - if you persist in asking for help with incompatible schematics, they are liable to start ignoring your requests completely.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby newdsp » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:33 am

I will have to install 306 in a VirtualBox because if I install it on the same drive it's interfering with the 309 installation.
newdsp

Postby Spogg » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:17 am

What trog said! ;)

My QX7 was a synth inspired by the DX7 and was not meant to be an emulation, not even a close one. With the brilliant and free Dexed being available I didn’t see any point in making a copy. I like to do my own thing, another example being my Phadex 2:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48932&start=0&hilit=phadex+2

This uses a similar scheme to the Casio phase distortion synths, but is my own take on the system.
Spogg

Return to User Examples