Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Super Text Box

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Super Text Box

Postby trogluddite » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:25 pm

Next update, Beta 04, available in the top post.

- Screen redraws limited to 15fps to prevent fast data changes from hogging the CPU due to excessive GUI refreshes.
- 'Visible?' boolean input, so that you can turn off all refreshes when the display is hidden (for example VST plugin editor closed). The GUI is immediately refreshed as soon as visibility is restored.

Note that these new features are entirely graphics related - the internal processing of data and selections still happens at full speed so that, for example, VST preset changes etc. are not adversely affected.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby chackl » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:17 pm

Well i allways get an erro if i try to sort the 2nd and 3rd column.

And if soting is sucsessfull i hav no capital letters anymore.
Any Workaround here?

I can post a shematic tomorow ;)
Regards
100% accuracy is the guarantee to your success. The value alters if you combine it with musical creativity.
chackl

Postby trogluddite » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:10 am

chackl wrote:Well i allways get an erro if i try to sort the 2nd and 3rd column.
And if soting is sucsessfull i hav no capital letters anymore.
Any Workaround here?

Oops! Thanks for reminding me. The all lower case text is indeed just a humungous bug! :oops:
Got that fixed a while ago, but got stuck into other things and forgot to post the fix. TBH, I'm still not quite happy with the sorter myself (see below), but here's the latest version, with the text case fix and various other improvements, and a couple of new simpler modules for use as selectors.
Super Text Box 01 Beta 06 GUI Options.fsm
(22.82 KiB) Downloaded 1440 times

The sorting error could be either...
1) Part of the same bug with the text parsing as above - in which case fixed ...OR...
2) But, I'm guessing that the Ruby code may be showing something like this...
Argument Error: comparison of ???? with ????? failed
The sorter code is one of the reasons I was slack posting the update, because I think it needs work. I was attempting to make it 'intelligent' when dealing with strings that include numbers - by extracting the numbers for comparison, instead of comparing the strings complete with text. For nice simple columns of, say, currency prices it works reasonably well - but it can also cause these type mismatch errors when strings and numbers are mixed - or you don't intend the number to be "counted".
I'm also relying on Ruby's built in 'sort' method - which is very fast, but can rarely do comparisons on data of different types. And there are classes of object that are simply not sortable that way.

A few choices needed for the user to maybe, so that each can choose the best method for their data.
While I work some more on that, here's a second version of the file - all the same, except I've removed the "number stripping" from the sorter - I'd be very interested to know if either of the two files works better for you (or I've just added even more bugs!!)
Super Text Box 01 Beta 06X Alt Sort.fsm
(22.82 KiB) Downloaded 1397 times

If not, I'd be happy to do some testing if you can post a schematic with a sample of the data that you're using - seeing more examples of how people are using this in practice will help me to know what path to take when improving it, and maybe give me ideas for new/better features.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
trogluddite

Postby tester » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:44 am

Hey trogluddite, I know that I do a little mess writing here, but it's the only way to focus your attention (and I appreciate your knowledge), which is deeply immersed in ruby stuff as I can see ;-)

Quick questions.
1. Are you using your account on SM forum? It's the same name as here, but I don't know if PM's go through.
2. Could you take a small look at these topics (non-ruby solutions)? I'm trying to finalixe one of my projects, and these are the last one issues I don't know how to solve (somewhat I feel, that I came back in rather peaceful period of forum activity).
http://synthmaker.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 12&t=11942
http://synthmaker.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 12&t=11941

Btw, nice textbox.
Need to take a break? I have something right for you.
Feel free to donate. Thank you for your contribution.
tester

Postby pall » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 am

Oooh ....! I like this.

It's really superb, these super-approach with so many comments. :D

Thanks a lot Trog!
pall

Postby chackl » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:14 am

Hej!
Thanks!!! ;)
At me it is working - well, it may not solved verry beautifull but ist is working here at me :D - great verry great!
Thanks ;)

Regards
100% accuracy is the guarantee to your success. The value alters if you combine it with musical creativity.
chackl

Postby chackl » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:01 pm

Hello!

Back once again ;)

Well it seems if one line of a column is empty, than sorting gets an error?
Is there any way to fix that?

Regards
chackl

Postby trogluddite » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:24 pm

Oooh - well spotted, thanks for reporting! :D

Yes indeed, I can see why that might be a problem.
I've not looked at the code yet, but I'm almost certain that an empty entry would return the Ruby 'nil' value - which results in an error for the vast majority of methods.
That should be a pretty easy case to trap - null entries could be forced to the top or bottom of the list with a fairly small modification, I think.
I'll try and get a fix posted this weekend.
trogluddite

Postby ruben » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:07 am

Hi Trog...
Tried your boxes and I found that they don't work with presets... That's a pitty! They look good and usefull but... Any possibility to work with presets?

Cheers
Ruben
ruben

Postby trogluddite » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:13 am

Hi Ruben,
At the moment presets work in a very limited way - they will store which rows are selected, but only so long as the content of the lists doesn't change (NB - this needs to be enabled in the properties panel).
Unfortunately it's tricky to get around this because the rules for what data a VST presets can store are very limited - max' 256 characters for text, and VST arrays are only available for numbers. Mixing text with number values gets even more awkward
But I would really like to be able to store the whole content, it would make the module much more versatile.
I shall keep experimenting and racking my brains for an answer!

Cheers,
Trog
trogluddite

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples