Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Finally, a RAMP Oscillator, just in time for Christmas !

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Finally, a RAMP Oscillator, just in time for Christmas !

Postby rocknrollkat » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:56 pm

Hey gang,
Here's my latest addition to Martin's famous oscillator pack.
Everybody loves sawtooth waves, but whatever happened to its fraternal twin, the RAMP wave ?
Fret no more, it's here for you to enjoy !
Now you can have those V.C.A.s, V.C.F.s, etc., creating entirely new envelopes.
Great stocking stuffer, download yours below.

Merry Christmas !

ROXY :D
Attachments
ROXY's Ramp Oscillator.fsm
Finally, the forgotten RAMP generator is here !
(268.32 KiB) Downloaded 968 times
rocknrollkat

Re: Finally, a RAMP Oscillator, just in time for Christmas !

Postby adamszabo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:14 pm

Hmm, if you simply invert the phase of a Sawtooth you dont get a ramp. You get an inverted sawtooth :) A ramp goes from 0-1 yours goes from -1 to 1
adamszabo

Postby rocknrollkat » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:45 pm

adamszabo wrote:Hmm, if you simply invert the phase of a Sawtooth you dont get a ramp. You get an inverted sawtooth :) A ramp goes from 0-1 yours goes from -1 to 1

A ramp wave IS an inverted sawtooth wave.
A ramp wave goes from a high voltage point to a low voltage point.
A sawtooth wave does the opposite.
There is nothing that says anything has to start and end anywhere.

And by the way, I've already dealt with and solved the D.C. offset problem, my latest Oscillator pack (not uploaded yet) is -1 to +1 or 0 to +1 selectable on ALL waveforms, so V.C.A.s don't see negative voltage swings.

rocknrollkat

Postby adamszabo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:31 am

Not according to FlowStone :P

If you have ever coded an oscillator from scratch, you will usually want to create a ramp (a counter) based on the frequency that goes from 0 to 1, then create your waveforms (from -1 to 1) from that.
Attachments
ramp_vs_saw.jpg
ramp_vs_saw.jpg (35.61 KiB) Viewed 22352 times
adamszabo

Postby rocknrollkat » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:26 am

adamszabo wrote:Not according to FlowStone :P

If you have ever coded an oscillator from scratch, you will usually want to create a ramp (a counter) based on the frequency that goes from 0 to 1, then create your waveforms (from -1 to 1) from that.

Let me suggest that you read up on real world waveform analysis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawtooth_wave

rocknrollkat

Postby adamszabo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:38 pm

Then Flowstone must have gotten the Ramp wrong. They must be idiots :lol:
adamszabo

Postby rocknrollkat » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:03 pm

adamszabo wrote:Then Flowstone must have gotten the Ramp wrong. They must be idiots :lol:

The oscillator pack that most people use here at Flowstone was written by Martin Vicanek.
As you know, I've added a few mods to that wonderful pack.
I'm sure that Martin would agree that Flowstone is a numbers based simulation program, NOT and electronics modeling program such as Multisim (National Instruments).

You can check any electronics engineering website for a complete dissertation on wave theory and analysis and I can I can guarantee you that what I am telling you is correct.

But quite frankly I think you just want to argue.
I see no schematics from you, no working projects, just "you're right and we're wrong".

Have it your way, son.

rocknrollkat

Postby Spogg » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm

In my view, the terms ramp and saw are interchangeable, since they describe a shape or behaviour and the shape is independent of amplitude, phase and polarity, like a sine or triangle wave shape.

To avoid confusion I use the terms Ramp up and Ramp down in my LFOs these days, since it’s more clear what you’ll get.

Basically it’s about semantics.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby rocknrollkat » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:03 pm

Spogg wrote:In my view, the terms ramp and saw are interchangeable, since they describe a shape or behaviour and the shape is independent of amplitude, phase and polarity, like a sine or triangle wave shape.

To avoid confusion I use the terms Ramp up and Ramp down in my LFOs these days, since it’s more clear what you’ll get.

Basically it’s about semantics.

Cheers

Spogg

Hi Spogg,
You're correct on all points.
I did quite a bit of research on the two terms, and some say Ramp is high to low, some say the opposite, and they all are 'authorities'.
I've created a mod to Martin's oscillator pack that keeps ALL oscillators at 0 or above, since many modules don't respond to negative control voltages, but I've run across a few that do acknowledge the full 2 'volt' swing from -1 to +1 !
I'll post it for all after Christmas.

And yes as you state, waves are independent of amplitude, phase and polarity.

Merry Christmas to you !

rocknrollkat

Postby adamszabo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:37 am

rocknrollkat wrote:I see no schematics from you, no working projects, just "you're right and we're wrong".

Then you have not searched hard enough. Ive been here since the SynthMaker days posting and helping others, I made JP6K, Phazor (google them), they are very highly regarded plugins, plus I have a new project coming next month which Ive spent 4 years on and you wouldnt be able to tell that its made with the amazing FlowStone. So I just felt that Ive put enough down on the table to have some form of weight. Maybe I just love FlowStone so much that I felt that if they say a Ramp is from 0-1 then they are correct. I still believe thats what a ramp is, but lets not go in circles.

Anyway, I am sorry if I started an argument, perhaps I had a bad day and I just reacted wrongly. To be honest I felt that the topic was a bit arrogant (I dont know if thats the correct word here), basically what you did was inverted the phase of a saw osc. Thats it. Then you call it like everyone was waiting for this because FINALLY someone made this. Like we no one could have figured this basic thing out themselves. Damn this guy needs a nobel prize.... Thats how I felt initially but then I said, nope I wont go down there, this is just how I feel its my own business, so instead I wanted to help and correct a mistake to say what a ramp is, the way I learned it, but then you still insisted on your own version of a ramp wave, then it was a catalyst for me being sarcastic. Anyway, this went way beyond what its worth, so lets move on.

Merry Christmas! ;)
adamszabo

Next

Return to User Examples