Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Voice Stealing problems when FMing

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

Voice Stealing problems when FMing

Postby DynamicPhase » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:42 pm

Hello! I've been developing this synth for my school project but I've been stuck for a week or so now trying to figure out what the problem is. Let me explain.
The synth has 4 oscillators, each with a sequencer module and an extra oscillator modulating all 4 of them.
When playing the sequences without the modulation oscillator pluged in everything works fine, all 4 osc sound fine and how they're supposed to. Same thing when FM modulating all 4 without any sequence. But when I connect the FM osc and play the sequences it starts stealing voices, this means it will FM as intended but only with 1 sequence, ignoring all other 3.
I've tried many things with no luck, so I hope you guys can help me out.
The main screen of the project is a mess, you'll have to go to the second one to see what's going on. It's connected with the failed modulation, if you want to check the 4 sequences working unplug the bottom osc (in black).

If you have any doubt please ask me.
Last edited by DynamicPhase on Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DynamicPhase

Re: Voice Stealing problems when FMing

Postby Spogg » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:30 am

The problem is that what you’re trying to do isn’t allowed!

You have 4 different poly streams, each with their own midi voice prims and each going to blue outputs. That’s fine. BUT you can’t modulate or influence all those 4 streams with a common poly source like your modulator system. What will happen is that the last one you connect will be the only one to respond, and the previously connected ones will be ignored. Other issues may arise too since it’s an illegal method in FlowStone. I know this because I tried it ages ago!

There are possibilities however. One is to have a master control panel (just for knobs etc) and 4 slaves. So you make settings on the panel and the settings are transferred via green to the slaves, so each slave attaches to a unique poly stream. That might work. Unfortunately the problem is likely to be CPU cost since you’d have 4 identical modulation sources instead of just one.

The other one is to convert a modulation source to blue mono and then back to white stereo, with a mono to poly converter for each of the 4 synths. Each mono to poly module will then tie into its own poly stream. In this situation the envelope generators won’t trigger so you’ll need to connect a poly multiply prim from the envelope output to the poly to mono converters and the multiply prim must have zero input to multiply by (this opens the channel). The modulator will also need a midi voice system with the frequency also connected to the output via a multiply by zero to fool the midi prims into operating. The main issue then would be higher levels when playing chords, since outputs would be added together. So you’d need to set the number of voices to 1 for the modulator module.

It would be much easier to have one modulation option per synth, inside the streams, rather than a common one.
Spogg

Postby DynamicPhase » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:33 pm

Thank you so much Spogg! I'm really like the master control panel idea, but if I'm using 4 modulators might as well make them independent :D I also tried making the poly signals mono but the program just crashes, I probably made a mistake. It doesn't matter tho because I'm going with 4 modulators.
Again, thank you very very much Spogg. I will be sharing both the synth and the schematics once thy're finished :)
DynamicPhase

Postby Spogg » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:19 am

Are you using FlowStone 3.08.1 or 3.06?
I used to get crashes like that in 3.08.1 and changed to 3.06 ages ago on advice from tulamide. It’s much more stable you see. You can open a schematic made in 3.08 in 3.06.

The other tip is when you make changes and get a crash you can try turning off the ASIO or DS output while making the changes, then turning the stream back on afterwards. The issue becomes more likely as the project gets bigger, presumably due to the need to recompile a huge running schematic while the audio is running. Of course it shouldn’t crash, but the devs couldn’t test every possible schematic and system.

Good luck!
Spogg

Postby DynamicPhase » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:43 pm

I'm using version 3.08.1, I'll switch to 1.06 if it's more stable. I assume most of the crashes are because the schematic is pretty big but for the most part the program runs great.
Thanks for the advice :)
DynamicPhase

Postby Spogg » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:41 am

DynamicPhase wrote:I'm using version 3.08.1, I'll switch to 1.06 if it's more stable. I assume most of the crashes are because the schematic is pretty big but for the most part the program runs great.
Thanks for the advice :)

I assume (and hope) you mean 3.06 not 1.06 :lol:
I’ve been running 3.06 for some years now and I would guess that it’s about ten times more stable. But it does sometimes crash or start acting up, so I make frequent evolving saves, as I’m sure you do too.
Spogg

Return to DSP