Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

ASIO IN limited to one in schematic

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

ASIO IN limited to one in schematic

Postby hologenicman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:39 am

Hey there,

I am evaluating the free ware and working with its limitations while preparing for a later upgrade.

The Enterprise version allows for 4 ASIO and the Profesional is supposed to allow for unlimited ASIO, the the Component manual calls out that there can only be one ASIO IN in the Schematic.
ASIO (Audio Stream Input Output) is a digital audio protocol specified by Steinberg which provides an
interface between an application and the sound card. The ASIO In primitive provides a mono
connection for each mono input supported by the hardware sound device on your computer.
The ASIO In components provide the only way to receive audio signals from an external source (via
inputs on your sound card). Note that only one ASIO In component is allowed in your schematic.

How do you allow for multiple ASIO devices such as two USB MICS?

My preference would be for two Separate USB MICS, but the alternative might be a single stereo USB MIC such as the MXL or the AM3.

Currently, I am using the Direct Sound IN with a single mic.

John L>
hologenicman

Re: ASIO IN limited to one in schematic

Postby sal » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:18 pm

hello,
the asio in/out is referred to a single device.
We can't add more than one asio module inside a project and if you need several inputs, you should use a soundcard with the number of inputs you need, but all under the same asio device.
Alternatively you can try with asio4all which should be able to merge more than one audio device under the same asio driver.

Sal
sal

Postby hologenicman » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:22 am

Thanks,

I do plan to use the ASIO4ALL utility. I had downloaded it, but was unaware that it would allow me to merge the two separate mics into one stereo ASIO device.

That would serve my needs since I could just use the ASIO IN left and right feeds to work on the feeds from the two mics separately.

I'll get the ASIO4ALL driver going and see if it will work.

I am still interested in understanding the specification of 4 ASIO in/out for the Enterprise version and Unlimited ASIO in/out for the professional versions of Flowstone as described on your download page. I am convincing my wife to let me spend the money and those kinds of details can make the difference... ;-)

John L>
hologenicman

Postby DSP » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:30 am

A good example of how the ASIO limitations work is to look at a multi channel audio interface like the Tascam US-1641. This has 16 inputs @ 96Khz, in FlowStone Enterprise only 4 will be available at any one time, in FlowStone PRO all 16 are available.

ASIO FES.png
ASIO in FSE explained:
ASIO FES.png (91.23 KiB) Viewed 20408 times
DSP

Postby hologenicman » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:23 am

That Absolutely clears that up!

Thank you.

I've been working with ASIO4ALL to set up a multi-mic ASIO device. So far, I have had compatibillity issues with my hardware, but I will keep plugging away at it.

Perhaps I will instead go with a TASCAM device since it seems to be ever so much more varsatile than the USB mics.

Thanks again,
John L>
hologenicman

Return to DSP