Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Using the Analyser prim

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

Re: Using the Analyser prim

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:26 pm

You know, i was thinking the same thing the other day, that there's no need for an analyzer at to gauge things like db and such; is it not just a waste of time until you need to visually display it? Word to the wise making LU calc's.

Funny how most of us do it backwards.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby HughBanton » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:20 am

@trogluddite wrote:
The differences are only in what assumptions FS makes about their content, and what access it allows us...

A goldmine of info Trog, as ever. Thanks. The manual is very hazy about the difference between a float array and a mem, and you've made that much clearer.

Yes, I've seen examples of hanging things on to a mem and using its addresses directly. Never myself dared to attempt anything like that so far - I'd be sure to break something. Also .. memin has a dubious reputation in 3.0.6 as being crash prone, so I'd probably break at least TWO things ... :lol:

But I get the idea; I might have a go in FS4! MyCo seems to have got mem really stable now; I moved a few things to memrefin 6 months ago .. some worked better than others .. but I've now switched all memory reads to that method without further problems. Recommended.

Being able to read my array[32] without the 'slow' stage(2) counter, and without the Analyser, would be very satisfying. (I've got some much much bigger ones than this!)

Thanks

H
HughBanton

Postby trogluddite » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:19 pm

HughBanton wrote:memin has a dubious reputation in 3.0.6 as being crash prone

Unfortunately, when using assembly trickery, there's always the chance of a crash from the slightest error in code which uses pointers. Pointing to memory which hasn't been reserved by a proper request to the OS is an "access violation" - the sentence for which is instant death to the application with no right of appeal!
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby HughBanton » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:34 pm

9 months later I finally got back to this. (DSP - Dreaded Serial Procrastination, hoho)

Yes Trog was correct, using a memrefin input you can indeed get the entire array result in the first cycle, making stage(2) redundant here and making these kind of calculations possible in a single pass.

However (even though you just can't contain your excitement!), obviously this is only suitable for the Slack forum so I'll post a demonstration over there.

H
HughBanton

Previous

Return to DSP