Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Image Processing with Flowstone?

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

Re: Image Processing with Flowstone?

Postby martinvicanek » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:00 am

Thanks for your comments, guys. Yes, we all would like to see enhancements in FS' grapics capabilities, but frankly, I think the main goal should be to get a stable release first.
martinvicanek

Postby Spogg » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:06 am

HughBanton wrote:I think what Maik actually said was that, because of Flowstone's modular sandbox format, adding OpenGL the cpu usage could go up by a factor of 1000. Even if he's exaggerating just a bit (which he probably wasn't) that would clearly put OpenGL and the like completely out of bounds for FS. Flowstone and Juce are not the same thing.

As Maik said, "it's just completely inpractical for a Software that allows the user to do whatever they want".

Oh dear I don't remember him giving that explanation Hugh.
But I also don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday. :lol:
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:15 am

HughBanton wrote:But I think what Maik actually said was that, because of Flowstone's modular sandbox format, adding OpenGL the cpu usage could go up by a factor of 1000. Even if he's exaggerating just a bit (which he probably wasn't) that would clearly put OpenGL and the like completely out of bounds for FS. Flowstone and Juce are not the same thing.

As Maik said, "it's just completely inpractical for a Software that allows the user to do whatever they want". Too true - the UK government nearly came seriously unstuck over Covid last year because of MS Excel ..

Mind you, they then went on to [deleted .. HB] :roll:

H

PS Really nice work Martin!

I didn't read him writing that. I only read a text from him with the content I quoted.
If he really said, what you say, it's even worth! That doesn't make sense at all. OpenGL is a graphics language just like GDI+. All he has to do is replace the GDI+ calls with the respective OpenGL calls. Talking of CPU usage going up makes absolutely no sense at all, as the graphics card is doing the work of OpenGL, not the CPU. What a nonsense!. I hope he didn't say that, as I would feel insulted by his assumption of our stupidness! :o

What is impractical about a graphics card? I don't get that point either. There are hundreds (yes, hundreds!) of visual programming tools out there, not just Flowstone. They all, incl SynthEdit, make use of OpenGL (aka use the hardware graphics chips). Of course, I mean, it is just plain stupid to not use the hardware power of the graphics card. Even a browser (today thanks to HTML5 THE tool for doing anything you want) has OpenGL in use.

But sure, they all are idiots, by making use of the graphics card. BTW, GDI+ also makes use of the graphics card. But because it is 30 years old, it only uses a bit of the memory and is unable to access anything useful.

Well, I run DAWs, Games, Synths, Photo editing apps, vector editing apps, 3D sculpting apps and so much more in my browser! :roll:

I think somebody has to wake Maik up and tell him it's 2021 then, if he really said such nonsense.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Duckett » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:47 pm

There's a reason (well, many reasons) why I'm not a developer or programmer, but a big, BIG one would be:

NOBODY IS EVER, EVER HAPPY.

It's not even about whether or not the issues raised are valid or not, it's that the feedback ratio on average for devs seems to be about 25% "You're amazing, thank you" to 75% "WOW, YOU SUCK... STOP RUINING MY LIFE WITH YOUR FAILURE".
We have to train ourselves so that we can improvise on anything... a bird, a sock, a fuming beaker! This, too, can be music. Anything can be music. -Biff Debris
Duckett

Previous

Return to DSP