Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Reducing aliasing of waveshaping using convolution

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

Re: Reducing aliasing of waveshaping using convolution

Postby Spogg » Thu May 10, 2018 7:33 am

OMG Martin! Is there no limit to your talent?

I didn’t know about your tracks but the one you linked to above is simply lovely. I will listen to the others very soon.

I think you’re a very private and modest person but I’d love to know a bit more about you.

Thanks for everything you do.

Spogg
Spogg

Postby francoisreme » Thu May 10, 2018 11:51 am

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your work, did you also tried the other kernels, I was wondering if there is any chance that "big" kernels could resolve analyticaly (min phase band limited impulse approximated by low order polynomials or bspline) ?

I recently read a paper about cascading rectangular convolutions kernel to get higher order kernel alias supression. (like convolve on 2 or 3 samples rather than 1). This paper is called ANTIDERIVATIVE ANTIALIASING, LAGRANGE INTERPOLATION AND SPECTRAL FLATNESS.[url]https://www.researchgate.net/publication/321785604_Antiderivative_antialiasing_lagrange_interpolation_and_spectral_flatness
[/url]

Hope it can give you ideas !
francoisreme

Postby martinvicanek » Thu May 10, 2018 10:01 pm

Thanks for the nice words and the beer, Spogg! ;)

Francoisreme, thanks for the reference. Yes, you can go to higher order but why would you? The math becomes unwieldy and you gain very little if anything. At least with the guitar amp application in mind, there is no reason to seek for spectral flatnaess because the real thing is anything but spectrally flat - there is pretty much nothing above 5 kHz, you see. In fact the AA waveshaper will not sound good unless you actually add another lowpass after it!

I think that the box shaped kernel marks a sweet spot in terms of effort vs. effect. Personally I would stop there.
martinvicanek

Postby francoisreme » Tue May 15, 2018 4:53 pm

Hi Martin.

for audio plugin dev it's convenient to have saturation spectraly flat a low volume and adding only harmonics. But maybe basic correction with a few poles-zeros can do the trick !

I never thougth about this zeros reflections pattern around nyquist frequency as you proposed in your previous post.
about higher order kernels, I was talking about that only to get higher aliasing reduction.
francoisreme

Previous

Return to DSP