Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

iRobot Create Interface - Help with Dec to Bin conversion

Discuss robotics applications using FlowStone here

iRobot Create Interface - Help with Dec to Bin conversion

Postby jvincent » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:53 am

I'm attempting to build a control interface for the iRobot Create using Flowstone. I'm doing this using the Open Interface Protocols from iRobot and need to be jumping back and forth between binary, hex, and decimal with the control instructions. There is an Int to Hex component, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to convert to binary (easily). Am I overlooking a component or is there an easy way to do this? Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

PS - Flowstone is a great development and educational platform . I teach high school courses in computer science, robotics, and pre-engineering. My robotics class uses iRobot Creates quite heavily and my plan is to get my interface running so that I can use Flowstone in some of my second semester classes. Thanks to the developers!
jvincent

Re: iRobot Create Interface - Help with Dec to Bin conversio

Postby DSP » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:22 am

If I need binary I just make a simple module that uses boolean algebra to decode the individual bits. There is no hex or dec to binary module. Usually it's not actually binary you need but the discrete bits out for say a digital output board (8 outs etc).
If you are still struggling, I can send you an example
DSP

Postby jvincent » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:41 pm

The Create Open Interface consists of a set of opcodes (for specific instructions) followed by data bytes. Unfortunately, many of the data bytes are defined as integer values that need to be converted into binary and broken into two seperate 8 bit bytes to send to the Create. For example, to move the Create forward at 500 mm/s, 500 must be converted to binary (111110100), padded to 16 bits (0000000111110100), broken into a "high byte" and "low byte" (high byte = 00000001, low byte = 11110100), and then the opcode byte and the two data bytes are sent to the Create. I'm converting data to Hex to make it easier to view the data set.

Because of the way the Open Interface is set up, I'm not sure if your suggestion would work DSP. But I appreciate your reply and I could be wrong, so I'll play around with your idea see if I get anywhere. Any other ideas?
jvincent

Postby jvincent » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:07 am

I figured out how to get my Decimal to Binary conversions to work using some comparisons and an int loop. If anyone is interested in the modules, let me know.
jvincent

Postby DSP » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:19 pm

Another option is to use Selectors to select the binary value. This way it's always padded.

Have a look at this example:

This converts an Int - Hex then to 8 bit Binary
Attachments
Dec_Hex_Bin.fsm
Decimal to Hex to Binary
(541 Bytes) Downloaded 1579 times
DSP

Postby jvincent » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:15 am

That is very similar to the way I did it. Although I overcomplicated the index value for the selector, you have it set up in a much more clever way (I used a loop and a comparison). Thanks for your help!
jvincent

Return to Robotics