Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Send motor controller commands w/ Flowstone

Discuss robotics applications using FlowStone here

Send motor controller commands w/ Flowstone

Postby mmelendez73 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:48 am

I have been trying to successfully create a Flowstone configuration that would let me control a rover with a Bot Board II (w/ AtomPro 28) connected to a motorcontroller (RoboClaw) set to hardware serial and mixed control. First I am testing the use of a serial cable, then using a Cat5e (virtual com port) for long distance (300') control.

I feel I have been getting strange behavior from Flowstone. I did something in an earlier FSM configuration and as soon as I input 08100, the motors turned (command = 8, speed = 100). If I hit backspace, it stopped. As long as there were 2 valid digits for the command and 3 valid digits for the speed, the motors would turn as they should. It was awesome, but short-lived. Then, after making no changes to the Flowstone configuration, it stopped working. For comparison, I can immediately switch to a terminal program that sends a string macro when I press F1.

I am not sure what I am missing with the Flowstone configuration, but I had everything working for about 20 minutes and then it stopped, reason unknown. I recall trying to introduce a component on the left side of the Com Port module, hoping that would somehow stream the command string data. The attached FSM is my latest attempt to create a simple configuration that will send the command string to the waiting tracked rover. I know the rover will accept the commands based on the testing with a terminal program. Again, as soon as I close Flowstone (and Com) and send a command string (example 08084) using a Terminal Program...motors turn. That's why I think it's flowstone. Flowstone has also been crashing when there is no delay on the repetition of the send. I received some assistance in the Lynxmotion forum, but I felt it was a good idea to reach out to you about your product.

The code loaded onto the AtomPro28 is listening for the command string (command = 2 digits and speed = 3 digits) at 38400. That's why 08084.

Considering the attached Flowstone configuration...
1) How can I get the attached or similar Flowstone configuration to successfully be sent to the Rover?

2) How can I receive a broadcast string ("Hello") from the rover?

3) Considering a future goal to use Cat5e, are there any common errors I should be looking for when configuring the virtural com port? Beside the obvious like baud, stopbits, etc.

4) Does Flowstone support virtual com ports (specifically for a Wiznet RS323/RJ45 converter)? Bummer if it doesn't. That would mean no Cat5e for me.

It really is unfortunate that I can't replicate the working behavior I had that day. As soon as I would add the last digit to the input string component, motors would turn. As soon as I hit backspace, they would stop. By the way, I have a hault command built in so the robot needs to receive the command over and over again to keep the rover moving or else it stops. This is my safety feature in case communication is lost with the rover.

Thx
Mike
Attachments
Simple Communication Config.fsm
(5.03 KiB) Downloaded 1653 times
mmelendez73

Re: Send motor controller commands w/ Flowstone

Postby DSP » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:26 am

Mike

Firstly the way you have created a send feedback loop is not necessary. You can use the trigger out of the sting itself.

I have added a New Line (<CR>) terminator to your outgoing string. This may not be necessary but is usual for LynxMotion boards. The Terminator input on the COM port module is only needed for the incoming data!

Also just in case you have had a comport crash try rebooting your machine. I have had this one and it never worked after until I rebooted.

Here's a modified example:

Get this working and then we can talk about your other questions :)
Attachments
Simple Communication Config1.fsm
(4.63 KiB) Downloaded 1746 times
DSP

Return to Robotics