Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Delay with gate?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Delay with gate?

Postby tulamide » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:27 pm

Has anybody ever worked on something like that, or knows of paid or free VSTs?

I often have an application for a delay/echo, but I don't want it to delay everything, just a portion. Currently that' a pita to do manually.

Very simple example: You play C D# F D# in 8ths, but you only want a 16th delay on C an F, but repeated if feedback says so. Does something like that exist?
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Re: Delay with gate?

Postby nix » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:47 am

Here is a multi-delay that might be a start Tom->
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/5ae6ri
I could probably do something like your design though

sorry peeps the schem is for Alpha
nix

Postby Spogg » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:20 am

I never did that or heard of it before, but it’s an interesting idea.

Maybe you’d need an audio gate which opened based on MIDI notes. This would pass the audio input to output only on those notes. The audio out would send to the input of a delay. It would need to be a soft gate to prevent clicks, and what about chords?
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:39 pm

nix wrote:Here is a multi-delay that might be a start Tom->
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/5ae6ri
I could probably do something like your design though

sorry peeps the schem is for Alpha

Thank you very much. I will have a closer look at what I can add to it!
tulamide

Postby tulamide » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:47 pm

Spogg wrote:I never did that or heard of it before, but it’s an interesting idea.

Maybe you’d need an audio gate which opened based on MIDI notes. This would pass the audio input to output only on those notes. The audio out would send to the input of a delay. It would need to be a soft gate to prevent clicks, and what about chords?

This idea is not only good, it would be perfect. Controlling the gate by midi is just the ultimate versatility. And yes, a soft gate is just fine, even ducking would already help so much. The only thing that should be totally clear is that the gate should operate on the delay line only and also only before it is fed back into the stream. It would also just be a time-dependend gate (with the timing controlled by midi, a note of length 1/4th would mute for exactly that length, oh my, this really is a fantastic idea Spogg!), no need for analyzing the midi stream. If someone enters a chord, the notes will arrive one by one, so it should just be an awkward long and mybe even clicking gate, that's totally the responsibility of the user.
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:52 pm

For clarity, is this intended to be for a one-note-at-a-time system, like from an arpeggiator?
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:59 pm

I couldn't speak of intention, since you came up with the idea! In my mind, after I read about it, I saw myself setting up midi notes representing the gated areas. One could even only allow one specific control note, for example C1, and ignore all others. Unless you have other brilliant ideas?
tulamide

Postby tulamide » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:14 pm

Here's a mockup, trying to visualize what I have in mind. It sounds really well, btw.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/80t5l7wtnb7t7 ... p.JPG?dl=0

The ghosted note line just shows, how it would be played, the colored note line shows how it would come out of the delay. Of course I could only mimic a low feedback setting, it gets too complicated quickly.

EDIT: Oh my, since this comes right after the midi in discussion, I should strongly point out, that this mockup is NOT showing the midi side, but rather the audio bits that are run through the delay or are gated.
tulamide

Postby nix » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:22 pm

do you mind using a special synth? and only using one octave?

the synth could have 12 outs, that go to 12 ins on the delay?
then there would be complete separation.
It wouldn't need a gate,
but we could still have gates to mod amplitude if we liked
nix

Postby Spogg » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:44 am

@tulamide
Looking at your image, what comes to mind is the way Kontakt can offer a keyboard region to control switching of articulation etc. You could easily provide a system where you specify a note value and use it to divert the audio in whatever way you need. I think that’s what you mean actually.

The obvious way is to use the MIDI Mono prim so that when the note value is played AND the note is ON you get a TRUE and that re-routes the audio for the duration of the control note (via a de-zip set to maybe 10mS). It would need a midi filter so the Midi mono prim only got to see the intended note and none of the others. On the UI you could choose any note value you want as the control.

Of course that would be all in green so maybe Ruby would give a more accurate timing, but the green side would be limited to a simple bool system, so maybe green would be good enough.

Edit:
Thinking about this a bit more, you could do the whole thing in Ruby. The code would output a 1 when the control note was playing, so the midi filter would be incorporated in the code. Now if only we knew someone who was good at Ruby… :lol:
Spogg

Next

Return to General