Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Can anyone make a bipolar rational mapper?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Can anyone make a bipolar rational mapper?

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Thu May 16, 2019 5:04 pm

Hi all, for effects especially for things like synths that have to vary dependent on the amount of gain it would be ideal to have a bi-polar rational mapper.

So, -1 to 1 and that would mean four states from -1 to 0 would have two levels and 0 to 1.

This I believe is the best solution for people making things which affect gain as I feel sometimes extremes need to have varying returns. Such as q ratio. If someone is using a peaking eq filter as if it were a high pass, then dependent on the reduction amount the q could be made quite wide in resonance.

And given the fact that there is some really cheap peaking filters (on the cpu) then they become very viable for synths too.

BTW, there's (a) link to Micahel Benjamin Voigt's and Infuzion's optimized version of MJ's peaking filter. It's incredibly above par; I'll have to upload from My PC. Not sure where to find it, maybe flowstone guru or..?

EDIT: and not ruby, it'd be for real time q-ratio values or similar, and there's a problem with ruby for that purpose.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Re: Can anyone make a bipolar rational mapper?

Postby RJHollins » Thu May 16, 2019 5:41 pm

There was at least module posted in one of the old 'ToolBox' site.

I'll have a look in my stash later tonite.
RJHollins

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Thu May 16, 2019 7:12 pm

RJHollins wrote:There was at least module posted in one of the old 'ToolBox' site.

I'll have a look in my stash later tonite.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Sun May 26, 2019 6:21 am

Hey everyone. I found something.

here it is:
bipolar_157_Point To Point Knob By Barak.osm
(54.6 KiB) Downloaded 889 times

So this seems to do everything that you might need.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:13 am

I thought it would be interesting to see what I had planned to accomplish with the this bipolar rational mapper in the form of Barak's array blender thing.

Basically, on Band 250; There is a difference so that the knob is not innately bipolar based on the min max. Neither is the linear gain calculation set to range and linear. The reason was so that the gain can be a float (0-1) that can serve to increase or decrease based on the gain of the slider.

This means that I can increase or decrease resonance at will. I thought this was especially intuitive due to the fact that often in the case of mids or highs that sound tweaks. So, that means with this the resonance can be made higher to prevent that altogether.

Here's the new version of LA bands with some of those advancements added (but only for the 250hz band). I felt that others who maybe made synths would like this so that their tiny EQ's could be made with only a slider and based upon gain could achieve more. Ergo, low shelf down all the way means smaller resonance; ultimately acting as a high pass.

It only makes sense. But, however though I had realized there were other things this method could be used for; This was the only one that came to mind atm.

I add too, that in the case of this EQ; I've found it ideal to stagger MV's ASM de-zippers with the regular de-zippers. Just put reg dezip than MV; then regular etc etc. It seems to avoid any clicking sound and uses only half the CPU as all normal de-zippers. Useful.
Last edited by wlangfor@uoguelph.ca on Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby adamszabo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:33 am

you cold save tons of cpu if you pack the dezippers together and you could save even more if you use the additional 2 sse which you are not using for the other EQs. You could almost cut the cpu usage in half.
adamszabo

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:14 pm

adamszabo wrote:you cold save tons of cpu if you pack the dezippers together and you could save even more if you use the additional 2 sse which you are not using for the other EQs. You could almost cut the cpu usage in half.

Hmm, pack together? sse.. Hmm. I've done things like that but never put that to words. Could You possibly ellaborate?

OK, and here's a version where the plane flies from right to left:
la bands 1 v0057 global redraw updated.fsm
plane flies
(327.06 KiB) Downloaded 831 times
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby adamszabo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:51 pm

This is how you do it. the SSE channel 1 and 2 is for left and right and channel 3 and 4 you can use for another left and right. So in the picture you can create filter eqs in series with just 2 instance. you get 50% cpu reduction. Then you can also pack your values and send them to the correct eq
Attachments
sse.jpg
sse.jpg (56.11 KiB) Viewed 15393 times
adamszabo

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:59 pm

adamszabo wrote:This is how you do it. the SSE channel 1 and 2 is for left and right and channel 3 and 4 you can use for another left and right. So in the picture you can create filter eqs in series with just 2 instance. you get 50% cpu reduction. Then you can also pack your values and send them to the correct eq

Thanks Adam :)
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Return to General