Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Saturn - A 6 voice Polysynth (updated)

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Saturn - A 6 voice Polysynth

Postby Halon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:02 pm

I noticed there was an oddity with the 12db filter aswell. I whish i was more tech savvy but im not.
Halon

Postby Spogg » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Halon wrote:I managed to work it out but the button is does not 'de-press'
after pressing it. I attached a schematic.

When you trigger a Dropbox menu, control goes over to Windows, until a selection is made or you cancel.

Now, in your schematic, the button OFF bitmap is controlled by the Mouse-left-up prim. Since the mouse is elsewhere, choosing a menu option, there is never a mouse-up action detected, so the switch bitmap remains in the depressed state.

My solution was to add a trigger delay on the mouse-left-down signal and use it to reset the flipper. This delayed trigger won’t happen until processing control is returned to Flowstone, i.e. after you made your menu selection.
Others here may have a more elegant solution. ;)

Also, for demo purposes, I shifted the position of the selection Window that pops up, so you could see the button in action.

What’s this about the 12dB filter?

Cheers

Spogg
Attachments
Save all programs button - Spogged .fsm
FS 3.06
(34.67 KiB) Downloaded 884 times
Spogg

Postby Halon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:21 pm

Lovely! :o thank you :) about the 12db filter, there is a 'pop/distorted' sound. This happens when the env amount knob is higher than 0.3 or something. Its quite noticeable with the triangle shape. Kortezzzz and tulamide might be talking about something else.
Halon

Postby kortezzzz » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:39 pm

We were talking about how the synth stands in the alfa version of FS. The filter causes the alfa audio shutdowns and even crashes. Still have no idea why, but seems like it produces some odd signals.
kortezzzz

Postby Halon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Oh i see. Thats too bad. :(
Halon

Postby Halon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:57 pm

Spogg wrote:I’ve spent a bit more time looking inside etc. and I offer a few comments which I hope will help…

The modwheel can generate a huge amount of triggers. I’ve attached a modwheel source that limits the triggering, yet still allows smooth operation.

There are 2 identical preset parameters; “Filter Float”. They all need to be unique, as I’m sure you already know. When you change this, you may need to re-do some or all of the presets.

Where did you spot this? Inside the modwheel module? I cant seem to find it as it needs to be fixed.

I don’t see the option to Save and Load ALL programs on the front panel; just individual presets. This means that users won’t be able to switch whole “banks”.

The Bend range knob has a scale from 0-10, but the actual range is 0-12 and goes up in 5 steps.

I set 32 voices and found that, when playing, the CPU was still ok (on my core i7 PC at least). All 32 channels showed at 15% in FS but this would almost never happen in practice. I think most users will get that huge sustained chords and/or long release times will use more CPU. I didn’t see any opportunities for optimisation.

Cheers

Spogg
Halon

Postby Spogg » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:59 pm

I added a range limiter (attached) between the output of the pitch to frequency prim and the cutoff inputs to the 2 filters. This prevents the requested cutoff frequency going above 1 (I actually set it to 0.99). If you do exceed this I found that filters often misbehave, since you are asking for something above Nyquist. With some filters I found this limit needs to be even lower, but it doesn’t normally affect the sound unless you drop below a maximum of 0.5 (approx. 11kHz).
That seems to have resolved the problem. Of course if you set very fast changes, like from the fastest envelope attack time, some filters seem to click more than others. If that’s an issue you could always set a minimum Attack time of say 10mS (about 400 samples).

Cheers

Spogg
Attachments
Range limiter.fsm
(247 Bytes) Downloaded 878 times
Spogg

Postby Halon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:01 pm

Wow great, thanks again!
Halon

Re: Saturn - A 6 voice Polysynth (updated)

Postby Halon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:09 pm

Just uploaded a new version with the ability to change colors and the max voices is now 16
Halon

Re: Saturn - A 6 voice Polysynth (updated)

Postby Spogg » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:50 pm

Did you also find that non-unique parameter yet?

If not I'll have a look tomorrow...

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples