Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

Language Corrections

For anything not directly related to FlowStone

Re: Language Corrections

Postby k brown » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:49 am

Amen, brother.
Plug-ins can be downloaded here:
https://cp.sync.com/files/355278247

Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby trogluddite » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:53 pm

Spogg wrote:Trog, you’ve provided an amazing insight into your own strain of autism, in this and other posts. I’ve often wondered what it’s like to have these atypical conditions and, although I can’t experience them myself, I’m so grateful for your sharing of them. It feels like a non-Vulcan mind meld! :lol:

Thankyou, Spogg, that's very flattering. I do worry sometimes that I bring it up a little too much; when you're diagnosed as late as I was, it can become a bit of mission to explain the many new insights into your own mind that it gives you. But at the same time, I firmly believe that most people aren't bigoted against people with such conditions; it's just that lack of comprehension and the fact that they're "hidden" disabilities leaves people unsure quite why things go wrong sometimes or how to react. Hence, I decided right from my diagnosis that I'd be as open about it with people as possible - a huge relief after decades of desperately trying to hide my quirks from everybody.

The common stereotype of autistic people lacking "empathy" is often misread as lack of compassion, but in reality it's just that differences in internal experiences of the world makes it harder to imagine oneself in the other's shoes - just as it's usually harder to empathise with someone who's a different gender or nationality as oneself. Probably the biggest problem socially is that people often forget that this is just as true in both directions. In fact, since autistic people are immersed in a largely non-autistic world and so are somewhat forced to understand it to the best of their ability, the "lack of empathy" is often stronger in the opposite direction to that which people assume (often known as the "double empathy problem".)

And yes, you're right, there is a certain personal benefit from the catharsis of writing these things down, and also a hope that every little bit helps autistic and non-autistic people to realise that our common humanity makes us much less different to each other than is often thought. I am always very saddened by the minority of autistic people - nearly always "high-functioning Aspies" who also neglect their "low functioning" peers - who are somewhat bigoted in the other direction (what we call "NT bashing" - where NT = neuro-typical; in itself a somewhat slippery concept.)
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby Spogg » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:16 pm

I certainly don’t think you mention it too much, and if it helps you in the process that’s a mega-bonus. You see, I’ve always had a fascination for mental states that differ from my own, whatever their genesis. So keep the insights coming!

I once read a letter in New Scientist from a guy who thought that it was those who didn’t have the "benefit" of your condition that were the real losers, and that he heralded the next step in evolution. He explained what his unusual talents were and, whilst I thought it a little arrogant, it certainly gave me an alternative viewpoint to consider.

The more we understand each other, the closer we become.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby trogluddite » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:34 pm

Spogg wrote:You see, I’ve always had a fascination for mental states that differ from my own, whatever their genesis.

Likewise, and I think that looking at "atypical" conditions can offer a lot of insight into how everyone's brains work. I've often wondered whether some of my perceptual differences aren't so much that my brain works all that differently from anyone else, but that I have a little window into the behind-the-scenes processing that is totally sub-conscious for most people.

If you've not come across them already, I highly recommend any of the books written by neurologist Oliver Sacks; The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat being probably his most famous work. Besides being very detailed descriptions of some of the most bizarre neurological conditions, his writing is incredibly compassionate, poignant, and doesn't neglect the humour that many patients find in their predicaments- not at all the kind of dry, distant prose you'd usually expect from medical case histories.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
trogluddite

Postby trogluddite » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:06 pm

Spogg wrote:a guy who thought that it was those who didn’t have the "benefit" of your condition that were the real losers, and that he heralded the next step in evolution.

In autistic circles we call them "autistic supremacists". I find it ironic that many of them are arch-rationalists who would denounce all non-Darwinian thought about evolution, while also expending much energy complaining that their social differences make finding a partner very difficult. I'm not quite sure how they square their evolutionary hypothesis with the fact that, relatively speaking, so few of us get to procreate! :lol:
trogluddite

Postby k brown » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:22 pm

I'm wondering what in geometry an "autistic circle' might look like. :?

k brown

Postby trogluddite » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:22 pm

k brown wrote:I'm wondering what in geometry an "autistic circle' might look like. :?

:lol: :lol:
I'll maybe have to pose that one on the autism forums - juggling with the semantic ambiguities of language is a very popular sport there. I'm sure we'd get a few entertaining answers!
trogluddite

Postby k brown » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Maybe it'll look like a wife wearing a hat :o :)

k brown

Previous

Return to Off Topic