Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Midi Output

For general discussion related FlowStone

Midi Output

Postby bherd » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:45 am

I am interested in using a Midi Control Surface with motorized potentiometers/faders to act as inputs and controls for some robotics. The record/playback motif would be interesting for playing back servo positions.

I have been unable to get the Midi Out module to put out any signal, my USB MIDI converter has an output indicator LED as well as I ran every possible combination into the module.

Are there any insights or examples for the MIDI output for controller output messages?

Thanks all,

Bil
bherd

Re: Midi Output

Postby DSP » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:24 pm

Here's a simple Midi Note Out test:
Attachments
Midi NoteOut Test.fsm
(2.99 KiB) Downloaded 1170 times
DSP

Postby bherd » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:28 pm

That DID work, thank you. I had the same layout only I had the MIDIEvent module instead of the NoteEvent module, whats the difference?

Can I send a MIDI string that isn't "note" based? I suspect that that the "controller" set is not considered to be a note.

Is there a way to convert the MIDI sting to text for viewing or converting a string to MIDI so I can construct my own MIDI commands?

Much thanks and best regards!

Bil Herd
bherd

Postby DSP » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:08 pm

You will need to check in the manual for your controller what messages control what. You can do everything with the Midi Event Module you just need the right codes.

MIDI data messages are composed of four distinct parts. Each part is an integer value. The parts are
as follows:
Status - (0-127) the type of MIDI event
Channel - (1-16) the MIDI channel on which the event was received
Data 1 - (0-127) the first byte of data received (for note events this is the note pitch)
Data 2 - (0-127) the second byte of data received (for note events this is the velocity)
The MIDI Event component takes this information and creates a MIDI event message.

Here is an example of sending out a midi controller message.

Status = 11 (0xB) = Controller message
Channel = 1
Data 1 = Controller number
Data 2 = Data (0-127)

You can check what the standard midi messages are here:
http://www.midi.org/techspecs/midimessages.php#3
Attachments
Midi Controller Out Test.fsm
(11.25 KiB) Downloaded 1176 times
DSP

Return to General